Scope for load development and accuracy

Sagedaddy

Different sort of question for you fellas, I've got a new rig on the way. My question is: on a rig that will have a mid range powered scope (let's say 14-16x on the upper end), do any of you guys use a high powered scope for load development and to see the true accuracy potential? Or do you just mount the scope you intend to use and run with it? I have a Leopold 4.5-14 vx3lr that I'm intending to put on the gun. I will primarily be shooting out to 600. I was kind of considering looking for a high powered, maybe even fixed, target scope for the load development. Or is it a waste of time and money?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I have used a fixed higher powered optic for load development in the past. It works, but I'm finding the improved resolution/etc in some scopes out there today, can achieve the same thing with a little less magnification.

You already have 14x available. I would invest in a higher quality hunting variable, over a dedicated target scope.

I personally very much prefer to do my load development with the rifle set up the same as I plan to use it. I had used Leupold 4.5x14 and 3.5x10 VX3 and Mk4 scopes for several years for hunting mid range. I had no issue holding sub .5MOA groups at 100/200 yards on paper during load development. I was selective though about using a target style that would visually optimize for consistent orientation of the particular magnification/crosshair during the load development process.

my eyes are not what they used to be. Aim small miss small. I use my 7-42 leupold for load development. Want to see what the true potential of the load is not my shooting. Use a lead sled for any heavy recoiling gun for the same reason. Hard to shoot 20 or 25 rounds as perfectly as possible when you are getting your butt kicked.

Now once I have that load then I put my hunting scope on and practice off of improvised rest, shooting sticks even offhand just to evaluate my ability and ensure I have the scope sighted in for my kind of shooting.

With a premium hunting scope and mid to above range magnification, optimum load development can be achieved.

I would much rather use what I plan to have mounted on my rifle for hunting and use a non-aided shooting technique (not lead Sled) that will take into consideration natural recoil of the rifle.

Thanks for all the advice fellaz. All good advice. I've definitely noticed a big difference in my shooting depending on my choice of targets, especially when using lower to mid power scopes. I'm not that smart, so it took me a while to figure that point out. I hate to think about how many shots and time I've wasted because of my poor choice in targets. Any suggestions for what you guys think is the best target for those mid power scopes? Its decision time, I've got both a Leopold 4-14x40 vx3lr and a zeiss conquest 4-14x44 with rz800 reticle. Trying to decide which one to put on this rifle. It's a 6.8lb 300wm custom that is reportedly pretty darn accurate so far. Trying to keep the weight reasonable. Hence my choice in scopes. Thanks again for all thevents great info

With todays technology their is no reason you can't have both. I have rifles with March 5 - 40 power, and March 5 - 50 power scopes. But they make 6 - 60 and 8 - 80 depending on the application.

I prefer to load develop with the scope I plan on using. However some of the technology out there allows you to use your scope, and not have to carry a spotting scope, or sacrifice low for high power. Just get one of the 5 - 40 scopes and you can do both.

Thanks for the info doc. Unfortunately, I think a march is a little rich for my blood right now. Plus they're a little heavier than I'd like for this particular rifle. I currently have a leupy 4.5-14 vx3lr and a zeiss 4.5--14 conquest rz800. Both are currently on rifles but I'm going to use one of them for the new rifle. I have a custom 7 in the safe that will need new glass down the road. I'll keep my eyes open for a march when Imy ready to attack that project

Thanks for the info doc. Unfortunately, I think a march is a little rich for my blood right now. Plus they're a little heavier than I'd like for this particular rifle. I currently have a leupy 4.5-14 vx3lr and a zeiss 4.5--14 conquest rz800. Both are currently on rifles but I'm going to use one of them for the new rifle. I have a custom 7 in the safe that will need new glass down the road. I'll keep my eyes open for a march when Imy ready to attack that project

What is the weight on those scopes out of curiosity?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.