Scope decision for 7mm-08

Elkwonder

I am in the process of putting together two rifles for my two primary hunting rigs.
The first is a Sako Long range in 7mm Mag That I have a new Razor 5-20x50 patiently waiting. This will be my main Elk gun and the one I do the most of my playing with.
The second is where Im a little confused. It will probably be my MAIN Mule deer hunting rig. It will be a Tikka in 7-mm08 with a little tuning and a new stock. I am looking for a scope that is capable of playing around out to about 500, but I will not be shooting at animals with this setup past probably 400. My question is If Im only shooting to about 400 and its my main hunting gun, would I be better served to go with better glass and a hold over type system? I would like to have the best glass possible for this one due to low light hunting situations.
I have a new sightron 3.5-10x44LRIRMOA that I had originally bought for a 22-250 predator rig, but I haven't got around to it either, SO, I could rob the scope from that project for this one....lol. But Im wondering if I should opt for better glass and a little more magnification? What are the thought of the long range crowd. Thanks

I have nxs compact 2.5-10x42mm for my short- mid range lightweight carry gun. I would consider the shv with moar. Reticle if I were you. I had wanted low power large field of view, it was prior to the release of 3-10 shv model. Depends on you price range. Love mine!!!!

Don't count the sightron out they are a pretty nice scope. When you are talking 4 or 500 yards there are many scopes that would work. If money is no object you probably don't need opinions. If you want a good quality scope that doesn't break the bank, from my experience I suggest the zeiss conquest. I have couple of the z800. They seem to work out well for me out to 600 700 yards. Only thing I don't like real well is that it only works on one scope magnification setting. Good luck with your decision and have fun.

Which sightron the SI? I shoot a SIIB 3.5-10x42 on my 7mm-08 which I like quite a bit. Never looked through the SI before so not sure how crisp at distance they are. The SIIB line are nice and have covered dials. If you didn't mind a slightly larger bodied scope you could get a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 for $300.

Please take a moment and check out our K624i rifle scope for your intended application. The new models for 2015 are now getting 95.2% light transmission and supreme resolution. Our click mechanisms are favored in the precision rifle crowd for amount of tension, click feel, repeatability and reliability. This scope is also very light weight for this class of optic and has the largest field of view. If you are looking for the best rifle scope in this magnification range, we have the scope you are looking for.

If you want something a bit slimmer and optimized ergonomics, look no further than our new K312i scope. Again, outstanding optics, perfect adjustments, and this scope comes with a left side windage in conjunction with our patented top mounted parallax adjustment.

At least take a few moments and check out what we have to offer: www.kahlesusa.com or visit one of our dealers: USA Dealers :: KAHLES Gesellschaft m.b.H.

Good luck with your search.

Ew, the better you can see the better you'll shoot make your 7mags scope due double duty on your 708 , this way you'll become twice as proficient . Regards

If as you say, your use of the 7mm-08 will only for hunting mule deer, the SIII 3.5-10-44 is all you need. I prefer the SIIISS 3.5-10X44LRMD/CM

Remember too, that most of the military snipers have used 10x scopes on their .308 rifles, and having used scopes of 10x for hunting and steel targets out to 800 yards, I would say it is more than enough. For paper punching, more power is nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts