Scope Clearance

motrophyhunter

Mounted my Huskemaw on my new custom 7mag and have only 8/1000's clearance between the barrel and scope, do you folks think this may cause any problems being this close.

That sounds too close for comfort to me. I like to be able to slide a dime between the scope and barrel, but would settle for a bit less, but not that much less.

Mounted my Huskemaw on my new custom 7mag and have only 8/1000's clearance between the barrel and scope, do you folks think this may cause any problems being this close.

The old saying that as long as it clears it's ok is not true because; When a rifle fires there are
harmonics that cause the barrel to flex unless it is an extremely heavy one. Also the scope
will surely flex because of recoil and the first movement of the objective bell is downward at
recoil.

So the scope needs to have enough clearance to allow some flex without contacting the barrel
each time.

The wider the spacing of the rings will help but there is no substitute for enough clearance.

I Like about 1/8th of an inch (No more) With or without flip up caps.

On rifles like the 22 rim fire it probably wont hurt but with any modern center fire rifle there
will be some contact each time at fireing.

J E CUSTOM

The old saying that as long as it clears it's ok is not true because; When a rifle fires there are
harmonics that cause the barrel to flex unless it is an extremely heavy one. Also the scope
will surely flex because of recoil and the first movement of the objective bell is downward at
recoil.

So the scope needs to have enough clearance to allow some flex without contacting the barrel
each time.

The wider the spacing of the rings will help but there is no substitute for enough clearance.

I Like about 1/8th of an inch (No more) With or without flip up caps.

On rifles like the 22 rim fire it probably wont hurt but with any modern center fire rifle there
will be some contact each time at fireing.

J E CUSTOM

Well I am going to go ahead and install the high base and call it good, should be about right.

J E is correct. Flexing will happen and that's way to close for comfort. If it were at a 1/16 I'd say maybe depending on recoil and barrel contour, although I prefer 1/8 minimum and 1/4 maximum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.