Scope; Best Bang For Your Buck?

I can live with that...actually might buy one of those to upgrade a scope on a 308 build that I finished a couple months ago....they have it priced at $159.00!

Thanks for all the help guys.

I sure would like to see some of these mid range/priced scope makers drop the lit reticle and put more effort into the quality of their scope. IMO it's a waste and pretty much useless feature. The Millet is the only one I've seen that has a usable lit reticle. Their low/night vision setting doesn't blind you at night. It can be used on moon lit nights without any outside lighting.

Yeah I agree on the lit reticle. Kind of drowns out the background.

Here's a tracking test on the Argos.

Primary arms. Guys love the reticle. They zero it, leave it alone, and use the reticle for everything.

making the decision to spend your allotted money on lots of mediocre equipment instead of a few pieces of excellent equipment.....

I'll never understand that concept.

If you're on a limited budget (which is just fine,) why not consolidate your resources into a single rifle with a GOOD scope and spend the rest on ammo so you can practice?

I never understood where the line was drawn for mediocre. I've seen guys on this very forum say $1000 for a scope is a budget optic. It's seems on this forum that if you're not shooting an SB PMII, a night force BEAST, or vortex AMG / Razor HD you're just shooting with mediocre crap.

At the end of the day it's the OPs money. If he wants multiple optics for multiple rifles, and he has a set budget to get them scoped, then let him do that.

Here's the criteria for a good scope

You can see the target
It holds zero
It tracks
Weather proof

Boom. The Athlon Argos can do that.

I've had Nikon prostaffs get me out to 500 yards with their reticles. Got it, won't be using it for PRS or engaging and destroying the enemies of the United States, but it's worked **** well on Georgia deer. I even asked the deer if he knew I shot him using a Nikon prostaff and he said he couldn't tell the difference.

OP get whatever the hell you want as long as you're happy.

Crews, also sorry that was not directed at you. I've just heard that a lot and it's good advice, just that's not what the OP may necessarily be looking for.

I'm pretty bitter too with the whole scope thing, because I'm on a certain budget. I had a buddy just recently pick up long range shooting and he went all out on a rifle. Literally dropped 8 grand into a 6.5 creedmore. I gave him my advice, he ignored it, still got a pretty cool rifle. He now has a vortex AMG in mil that he can't even use since he doesn't know how to read mil.

He then proceeds to correct me on my equipment choices and how I should've gotten this over that. Or why his AMG is better than my Athlon Ares. Etc...that stuff gets old and I'm starting to see it more and more on the forums. Sorry for the rant.

I started out on a budget. Hell, I still have budget restrictions if we're talking about S&B/BEAST money. There are very few people that actually NEED that kind of equipment. But you can bet those people shoot a lot, and have a full understanding of what scope features they need to attain their goals. If you have to ask why you need a S&B, you don't need a S&B. I started out just like everyone else, trying to find the best "budget friendly" scopes and rifles to fit in my budget. As I continued to shoot, I soon learned from personal experience that it wasn't enough for what I was trying to do. The turrets weren't accurate, and didn't return to zero every time. I couldn't see the target because the glass sucked or the mirage was too heavy. Any number of things really. I wish I could go back and hit the restart button, I would have saved a little bit longer and bought one rifle, one $1000 scope, and spent the rest on ammo and formal instruction. I'd be way further ahead now.

The OP's request reminds me of an issue I see way too often... too much focus on hardware and not enough focus on the skills of the guy pulling the trigger. Based on his comments, there is obviously a greater focus on quantity over quality. Why have 3 or 4 different rifles if you can't afford to put solid repeatable optics on them? I'm sure that Millett might dial right a few times, but will it do the same thing on the 200th time that it did the first time? Because that's what it takes to hit targets at 1000 yards.... practice. If your budget is that tight, how are you affording to buy enough ammo to practice and become proficient with your vast collection?

I would say the $600-1000 range of optics is a significant step up in reliability and toughness. That is somewhat affordable, crews. I get all bent out of shape when guys are like well just get 5 x BEASTS and be done with it. Lol

But the vortex HST/PST, athlon Ares, SS variable, Burris XTRs, and nightforce SHVs are all extremely reliable scopes that you will serve you well. That's an increase of $300-$400 over the recommendations already provided though.

I would say the $600-1000 range of optics is a significant step up in reliability and toughness. That is somewhat affordable, crews. I get all bent out of shape when guys are like well just get 5 x BEASTS and be done with it. Lol

But the vortex HST/PST, athlon Ares, SS variable, Burris XTRs, and nightforce SHVs are all extremely reliable scopes that you will serve you well. That's an increase of $300-$400 over the recommendations already provided though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as i believe as you do..for the most part. However I have to bring a second perspective to that opinion is, for those that are more serious with the sport/hobby/lifestyle....or job, yeah more higher end optics will be beneficial with better mulit coating...especially with the PM2 having better coating for blue spectrum (making it better for low light settings, one of many reasons for adoption in the military criteria) tracking reliability, durability and so forth and so on. For sure you can get most of those in say a SWFA SS, but, you won't get it all. I 100% agree its not necessary for everyone, especially when people (op) arent asking for that, but the commenters only can suggest from their own point of view. Although the real assholes are the ones who make suggestions that have no idea what they are suggesting and for why...we all run into a few of those no matter where we are on the interwebs.

If ur just getting into long range, a sightron s3 or Stac is a good place to start because once you push past 500-600 yds you'll need a better range finder, a kestrel and to shoot enough with the desired accuracy you should start reloading. Then once you have all those things and move past what the sightron can do for you you'll know what kind of scope you want to upgrade to.

A friend of mine sold all his rifles and scopes bought two custom guns a 300 Norma and 6xc and put identical atacr scopes on them. Nows he's piecing together a 6.5 and says he wished he had kept his sightron s3. They are very competitive scopes. It is a hobby and gear is part of that hobby. Besides with the advances in the past few years towards lr scopes, it can't hurt to wait a couple more while you practice before you pony up and buy the scope you really want!

I have quite a few of the scopes mentioned. First gen athlon cronus is the best I own and its on my DTA. I shoot a 6-24 vortex hst probably the most since its on my 223Ackley. One of my favorite current favorite deer rifles has a vortex hslr 4-16 ffp. I like it a lot too. I also have a 4.5-14 purpose mark 4 on one and its great too. There are also nikon and regular vortex vipers in the safe too. My 22 has the bsa ffp on it and it isn't terrible. Maybe I'm not an optics snob but there are a lot of options thatare don't have to break the bank. I was really close to ordering the burris veracity for my new rifle. That could be something else to look at.
If I had to get a tactical scope in this price range it would be hard not to look at athlon. Better yet would be to watch the classifieds with an open mind and find something you like.
Maybe find some people around you to look through theirs.

Another vote for the SWFA Super Sniper line. They may not have all the bells and whistles but the glass is just fine and, most importantly, the turrets track. The only thing I feel they truly lack is a zero stop and that issue can be solved by searching a do-it-yourself method on YouTube.

G

I think the Leupold VX5 HD line is another one to consider for the weight savings, low profile Lockable turrets, and optical quality. I think one could end up with a 3-15x44 for around $750 without much trouble. After using the VX6HD this hunting season, I think Leupold's new offerings for the LRH crowd are fantastic.

I think the Leupold VX5 HD line is another one to consider for the weight savings, low profile Lockable turrets, and optical quality. I think one could end up with a 3-15x44 for around $750 without much trouble. After using the VX6HD this hunting season, I think Leupold's new offerings for the LRH crowd are fantastic.
I like your thinking. If you can't do it with a Leupold you probably can't do it with anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.