Scope Bases and Rings for Rem 700SS 5R

NewLRShooter2011

I just purchased a Rem 700SS 5R and want get into long range shooting. I have very liitle experieince with long rang shoot other than some lucky deer kills at 500 and and 300 yds.

I soon realized after some reading that there are many opinions on just scope bases and rings, even from the local guns store. Initially I was going to get a one piece scope base but later learned that the Army changed to a 2 piece bases due to the stress on the action (on the M24).

I have come to realize that if I want to become a good long range hunter, that I need to do my homework and do it right the first time and it will take a lot of dilegence,money and self education.

I am looking for advice on what brands and types work best and even modifications to equipment such as lapping the scope base or rings is best.

Any help will be appreciated greatly and I hope I can contribute in the future.

BTW - 308 cal and initially thinking 1 in scope and later 30mm scope, but may just go with the 30mm scope tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.