scope advice based on cartridge, rifle and species?

adk hunter

Looking on input for a scope to match my rifle and new dream. I have a 8# .280 AI shooting 150 ttsx and lrab's about the same. Hope to avoid the hubble telescope but not be under magnification should a gong need ringing at 800 or an elk near there. I have a great place to stretch it out more. Just am guessing real world shot might be closer than farther. Elk, der bear. Magnification low to highest? Price and weight heavy nxs not being considered.

Proper scope depends mostly on 1) desired rifle configuration and characteristics (light carry, stable LR rig, target) and 2) usage intend. In other words, species aside, a light carry rifle intended for short to moderate ranges begs a different scope than a heavier long range rig intended not to be carried far but shoot long with turning of turrets.

Special usage cases aside, most people with general hunting and targets in mind are well served with a 4-16 scope and target turrets. That is plenty for every use you mention.

Adk your options are more limited by what youwant to spend then by a scope to fill yours wants. As Rick said scopes in that range will cover just about any thing you want to do. That said don't look for a cheapas cheap can be scope go with a brand with a good rep for quality. Put as muchas you can into this optic and it will be with you a long timeserving you well the whole time.

One of the top brand variable scopes should work for you, you have to look at them and decide how long ect. that you want and what one looks the best to your eyes !

A VX5HD 3-15x44 would be a great scope or a VX6HD 3-18x44, I have a few of each. I like the VX6 a little more because you can get the TMOA reticle which I like when shooting steel. Being able to use the reticle to measure what I need to adjust for to make hits works well for me. Least night I was shooting at 900 and missed high right, I used the reticle to measure where the bullet impacted in the snow and dialed 3moa left and 3moa down and hit right on the money. VX5 is half the price of a VX6 and is really not lacking much

Zeiss V4 4-16x44 (22oz) is one of my favourite scopes
Zeiss V6 3-18x50 (22oz)is also an amazing piece of glass
Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 (19oz)and VX6 HD 3-18x44 (19oz) are also great scopes, you get about twice as much MOA adjustment in the Zeiss over the Leupolds

Last edited:
SFP or FFP?
I am a FFP guy myself. And I have a sub-8# .280AI as well. I ran a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 on it at first. Amazing scope. But I had the itch for a March F 3-24×52 for a long time. So I swapped to that scope. Awesome hunting scope. Good low end @ 3x, awesome high end @ 24x, great turrets, repeatable and accurate tracking, good hunting reticles (mine is FML-1), lightweight @ 24.4oz, compact, low profile turrets, good glass. But not cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.