advice on scope

jimsbriar

hi all, I need your advice....

I just purchased a sako finnlight 85 in 6.5x55. I was looking at the zeiss conquest hd5 3x15x42 and then noticed I could purchase the zeiss conquest hd5 5x25x50 for the exact same price....$999.95(both scopes have the locking target turret)

the last place I saw this pricing was at swfa.com

90% of my shots will be under 600 yards, and for the most part under 100 yards.

So, since they are the same price, what is the best value??? am I missing something?

thanks in advance!!

Weight if that is a consideration.

And Reticles may be different.

I was considering the 3-15 before I pulled the trigger on my VX6. I wanted the Illuminated dot.

mudrunner and aldon, thanks for the advice.

as for weight, I am not too worried. a few ounces here and there are not going to beat me up. as for the reticle, both are the #20 zplex.

the only other worry I might have is that where I hunt muleys in eastern montana, many times it is like jump shooting rabbits. you could be hiking along a sage stream bottom and right in front of you pops up mister big and takes off for the canadian border! you have to be fast with the gun.

will the 5x25 be too much for this situation? even at the lowest power?

thanks again!!

aaaaaaahhhhhh, nothing like a saturday morning, drinking coffee and the long range hunting forum!

That's what it's like a lot here in Havre too! Yea I think 5 might cause you a little trouble, but the way muleis are, with moving off then stopping to look at you it might never be an issue. I picked up a V V in 6.5-20X50 and ended up putting it on my 22-250 because I was concerned with close shots.

I would go with the 3x15 for what you are talking about. You get the advantage of 3x for close shots and 15x is plenty of zoom for big game out past 800+ yards.

mudrunner and aldon, thanks for the advice.

as for weight, I am not too worried. a few ounces here and there are not going to beat me up. as for the reticle, both are the #20 zplex.

the only other worry I might have is that where I hunt muleys in eastern montana, many times it is like jump shooting rabbits. you could be hiking along a sage stream bottom and right in front of you pops up mister big and takes off for the canadian border! you have to be fast with the gun.

will the 5x25 be too much for this situation? even at the lowest power?

thanks again!!

aaaaaaahhhhhh, nothing like a saturday morning, drinking coffee and the long range hunting forum!

Man, you'll be good from 75+ with the 5-25. Also, the Z-Plex is what my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 is. I love the reticle, but that particular rifle is mostly just for targets for right now, because at the moment I don't have a long-range place to hunt. I have had lots in the past, but haven't in the last couple years. I need to go find me a long-range place to lease where I can shoot from hill to hill @ some whitetails, like I used to be able to years back. When I do get another long range hunting area, I will probably upgrade to a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the MOAR reticle.

Hi Jim,

Honestly a 2.5-10, 3-12 or a 3-15 would be a much better choice, and here's why. Lets just say you see this monster buck, the higher magnification you go, the better the optics you're going to need, meaning big bucks, and I don't mean deer, but here's the real kicker. High magnification will make those cross hairs move that much more, and as you watch them dance around your buck of a life time to the point of you holding off from pulling the trigger, he will be that much further into Canada! Ok, lets say you do hit him. Upon walking up to the downed animal you think is dead? Only when you poke him in the eye with your barrel he blinks...... and bolts up with his horns sticking you in the back shoulder, which saved you from having them punch through to your lungs but he's off and running again! Now you'll want that low power for as wide as field of view as possible, and so you wont see those cross hairs bouncing all over creation so you'll pull the trigger! And yes that is a true story because it happened to me in Utah with a Mule deer.

Sound about right? I used to live in Montana myself, I now live in the Panhandle of Idaho, a lot of this forest is so thick I don't even like walking though it! And yet I've seen Elk 2000 yards away using nothing more then a 3-12x50 or a 3-15x50. This is the same spot where I can drive to for shooting at the steel that I have put up for target practice behind my house. I have never been hindered by the 3.5-10x40 M3 Mark 4 I use on my 6.5/300 WSM out to 1200 yards to ever think I'm outclassed in glass. My Jarrett 280 AI wears a VM/V 5-15x42 Zeiss, but that's only because back in that day they couldn't make a 5x zoom, but it was a dedicated long range hunting tool so that's what I bought and it was light weight which I needed for a hunting rig.

The US military has recently bought a huge shipment of Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 for their 338 LM's, but that's a special purpose rifle, for 30 plus years its been a 10x40! About the only thing I could say for using more magnification on a rifle is precision rifle shooting, but that's for shooting targets, from a fixed position, not game animals that can be 10 feet away running or 600 yards away feeding.

Keep it simple, and buy something for its intended purpose. More is not always better, as much as men seem to think so, most woman would rather have there guy know how to use there equipment! Which works in the bedroom and in field craft, so don't get caught up in more is better.

It's like the saying "use enough gun", which people took as use more because of the law of large numbers, sure, but if you can't hit it what does it matter?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.