Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 PMII

SDhunter

Question for you that have a S&B 5-25x56. When shooting paper how far away can you see your bullet holes in the target at 25 power? Can you see them at 400, 600 or farther? Thanks in advance

I don't think there is a single answer to that question. One answer is that diffraction limits the resolution of a 56 mm objective to 6 mm at about 550 yds. Atmospheric turbulence-induced blur will reduce the range to a value that depends on air and ground temperature, height above the ground, etc.

However, if the bullet hole has high contrast, it can be visible at much longer ranges, even with turbulence. In the same way that we can "see" stars that are millions of light years away, we can visually detect and locate a bright or dark spot on a paper target at a range well beyond the limit of resolution.

The answer to your question depends on the caliber of the bullet, the color and reflectivity of the target, atmospheric and illumination conditions, the reflectivity of the background behind the target, and the vision acuity of the observer.

I understand that everyone is different as well as the conditions will also affect the outcome. Basically I was wondering if conditions were close to perfect how far you could see them. The reason is I was talking to a guy and he said that in the morning before the mirage gets bad he can see his holes at 600 yds with his nightforce 8-32x56. I was wondering if under the same conditions the S&B could do the same. He was using 6.5-284 and I will be shooting a 338 LM. I know not same size but thats ok with me.

I too have the Nightforce 8-32x56 and when the lighting is right it is easy to see a 7mm hole at 600 yds. Never had a chance to look thru the S&B.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts