Scary incident at the range

I know its only a RF but a friend of mine 4 yrs ago had a 17 HMR that exploded setting off 2 bullets in the magazine splitting it and he never had a scratch, just ringing in his ears, The cause was a misfire the shot before lodging the bullet head in the barrel, (he did not check the barrel was clear, and the next shot well another lucky escape

You know what I've wondered...

How does a person be loading a .223 magazine, load a 300BLK into the mag and not know it?
They fit in perfectly. People make mistakes. He probably won't make the same mistake but if your attention gets diverted while you are loading a mag I could see it happening especially if you are not aware that it is even possible.

I bought a 100 round box of Winchester 230 gr .45 FMJ went to the range opened the box they were .45 but hollow points called Winchester to try and give them a heads up they didn't seemed to worried. I need to pull a couple and see exactly what's going on

Exactly...

For those still stumbling around in the dark, the OP identified what he believes caused this rifle damage. He inserted a 300 Blackout cartridge into an AR-15 magazine.
The .308" caliber 300 Blackout ammo chambered and fired into the .224" diameter barrel, where it lodged. The .308 caliber bullet was swaged down to .224", and the excess pressure ruptured the case head.

The mystery was solved quite a few posts earlier.
There is a group of people that do not comprehend what they read and another group of people who will automatically grab their pitch fork and blame the manufacturer whenever something goes wrong almost like they enjo it. Just the way it is in the world.

Looks like a .300 Blackout got swaged down in the bore. This is the 3d time I've seen something like this. Very curious how this got in the magazine with 5.56, it's not an easy think to miss even for a blindfolded person.
I saw something similar years ago. I shoot a match rifle in 6x223 thru an AR. I made up a dummy cartridge and tried to
chamber it in my service rifle After 3 attempts the bolt still wouldn't close. Neck tension! So it's very curious how this
fellow got this to go off. Is the neck tension so slight on 300 Blk out that it's soft seated?
Looks like a .300 Blackout got swaged down in the bore. This is the 3d time I've seen something like this. Very curious how this got in the magazine with 5.56, it's not an easy think to miss even for a blindfolded person.

There is a group of people that do not comprehend what they read and another group of people who will automatically grab their pitch fork and blame the manufacturer whenever something goes wrong almost like they enjo it. Just the way it is in the world.
Reading and critical analysis is a skill set. It's becoming a lost skill.

Exactly...

For those still stumbling around in the dark, the OP identified what he believes caused this rifle damage. He inserted a 300 Blackout cartridge into an AR-15 magazine.
The .308" caliber 300 Blackout ammo chambered and fired into the .224" diameter barrel, where it lodged. The .308 caliber bullet was swaged down to .224", and the excess pressure ruptured the case head.

The mystery was solved quite a few posts earlier.
This is one of those moments that I wish the thread is locked for further comments.

What chambering is your AR?
It sort of appears that the neck had extended in to the barrel, with the bullet, stuck to the bullet, broke off at the shoulder and followed it in or through the barrel, swagging the brass to the shape of the barrel. That would obviously form a huge build up of back pressure.

Any takers on that thought

I've seen this twice where a guy (same guy) accidentally loaded a 5.56 with 300 Blackout ammo. That would explain the 120 grain bullet. Do you have 300 Blackout ammo also?
The follow is a link to a scenario where a 300 blackout was chambered into a 556. the bullet elongated in the barrel when a section was cut.

It sort of appears that the neck had extended in to the barrel, with the bullet, stuck to the bullet, broke off at the shoulder and followed it in or through the barrel, swagging the brass to the shape of the barrel. That would obviously form a huge build up of back pressure.

Any takers on that thought
No because he stated he loaded a 300 in it by mistake.

Recent Posts