Scary incident at the range

I am also glad you are ok! Who was the manufacture? There maybe more ammo out there like that. Don't need to have others get injury.

I'm the only one to load mags, black 30 rounders for 223, tan 20 rounders for 300bo and the magwells are color coded. Id like to try the ARC but aint going through the hassels of keeping it seperate from the Grendel. The 450 bushmaster doesnt seam to be a problem😎
View attachment 369034
I have both the 6.5 Grendel and 6mm arc. They are VERY similar to the naked eye. I'm not a high volume shooter and don't take both to the bench at the same time. It all comes down to personal responsibity . We do play with explosive devices after all, lol.
I'm sure the OP will never make the same mistake again and by starting this thread , He most likely saved someone else from getting hurt or worse. Thanks for all the info , guys !

There's are many stories exactly like this on the web. 300 blackout through a 5.56 or 223 chamber. Action usually blows and bullet gets drawn out. I've seen similar things when a 264 WM case was fired down a 25-264WM chambering. Luckily the only damage was a blown primer in a "stout" actioned bolt rifle. Shooter was fine.

A guy would think when you are loading a mag, this should have been noticed. By feel or by sight. I look at every round that gets loaded into a mag ether in a loading block or in the mag after each round has been loaded. Easy to avoid

Had the same thing happen to a buddy when he shot a 308 out of a 25-06. 308 slug squeezed out of the barrel and bolt action was pretty much welded shut. Looked at box of ammo and realized his mistake. Sh!t happens.

OK JM I'm sure we didn't hear this whole story. Were you alone at the range or were you with and talking to someone? There is no way anyone familiar with firearms couldn't have noticed this difference while loading the magazine. How the round got into the box from the manufacturer, although an issue with them, the main issue here is user not paying attention to what he/she was doing. Sorry but you're as much to blame as the ammo manufacturer.

Thanks to all for the responses. I do own 300 black although not shooting it that day. I am going to assume that somehow a 300 BO round got dropped in with the 556 ammo previously. My bad for missing it when I loaded the mag. I am lucky and humbled by the experience. Ashamed to say that I assumed a 300 blackout would not chamber in 556. Definitely a learning experience. Attention to detail is the key.
You learned a lesson the hard way, but lived to tell the tale.

I mark anything associated with 300bO with red tape. Mags, ammo box , rifle.

It's pretty obvious here what happened. Especially since you indicate bulk ammo was involved. You likely dropped a 300bo into that bulk ammo in error.
If it wasn't bulk, and it instead in a box, or if you didn't own 300bo, we could consider other possibilities. In this case, it's 99% op error

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to a buddy when he shot a 308 out of a 25-06. 308 slug squeezed out of the barrel and bolt action was pretty much welded shut. Looked at box of ammo and realized his mistake. Sh!t happens.
This is another incident that was the fault of the shooter. Whenever I take multiple rifles and chamberings to the range I only have one rifle and one box of ammo on the bench. Ammo is ALWAYS checked and double checked. In the cases above a 25-06 and a 308 are very different as is a 5.56 and a 300 BLK. The reason I double check my ammo is that I sometimes shoot similarly sized cartridges (i.e.: 308, 7-08 & 6.5CM).

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
Glad you are OK. I had a guy two spots over at a range have the same thing happen - and he said it was good quality ammo too.