savage pta, most potent cartridge

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by loaders_loft, Nov 16, 2009.

1. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

Thinking, more like dreaming of a specialty pistol built on a savage precision target action. Their website shows only a standard or .223 bolt face, no wsm bolt face.

With standard .473 bolt face, what would be the most powerful or potent hunting cartridge, that could still eject a live round?

Maybe a .284 win or some variant?

2. long450

long450 Well-Known Member

284 would be a good one. I know on the Striker actions some 300 WSM's have been built.

3. loaders_loft

300 wsm? wouldn't that require a magnum bolt face and a large shank action?

4. loaders_loft

maybe a 338 federal with 200gr FTX bullets? performance in a short barrel about like the 338 marlin express in a 24" tube?

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Just a bolt head swap.

Target actions are large shank.

6. loaders_loft

Bingo! So, the target action CAN be set up for the wsm... I get it now!

That opens up a whole new set of possibilities!

7. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I've got a 7wsm pistol on the target action, I absolutely love it! I've shot 1/2min groups out to 600 yards everytime I've had the chance to shoot that far. My dad has one in 338x300wsm and my buddy has one in 300wsm. It was a simple bolthead swap, I did mine in five min. You'll like it!

8. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Zuba
    Who made the stock you have on your Savage? Got an ich from seeing the outfits you guys had that is no doubt gonna get scratched as soon as I can put together the parts.
    Be nice if a guy could get away with useing any Savage action as there are a dozen in the safe but Northlander will no doubt have the legal solutionlightbulb

9. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I got mine from Neal Cooper, goes by hammertyme on here, Joel Russo and mcree precision make stocks also. You should have shot it, then you'd be hooked!!

10. loaders_loft

zuba, is there a blog or thread on your build?

I'd like to hear more about it, contour, weight, scope & mount choice, what went right and wrong, etc.

Was the savage PTA good to go out of the box or did it need to be timed & trued at all?

Thanks!

11. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

Origionally I ordered a 7mm Mcgowen barrel, I was tossed between a wsm or saum. There was some miscomunication and I ended up with an unchambered barrel. I talked with Jim See @ Centershot Rifles and decided to have him chamber and install the barrel, he trued up the action while it was there and installed my Holland QD brake. I am happy I went with him, and when I have money to build another gun I'm going with Jim again! I used an EGW 20moa base and burris signature zee rings. I now have a 6.5-20x50mm Vari-x III with the side focus. The whole gun is in the nieborhood of 12lbs with the bi-pod... With the weight and the brake the gun recoils about 2" strait back, never realized how gentle it is until the other night when I shot my 44! If I were to do it over I'd of ordered a different barrel so I could chamber it without a barrel nut, and I'd have had it throated a little longer...