400 yard Whitetail Cartridge?

Xphunter,
Thank you for taking the time to list your experience with 7mm bullets. How is the recoil of the 284 without a brake? I'm probably going to start with the Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip with my 7mm BR, what powder would you recommend? I'm thinking H322 or VV133 with this weight?

My 284 Win XP had an H-S stock on it and 15.75 inch barrel and it was a heavier contour than a stock XP.
Mine had a 2 port Mag-Na-port (which I don't recommend). It didn't hurt me to shoot it, and on two occassions I shot it 100 times on two different days shooting PD's.
A good muzzle brake on an XP turns them into a puff-cake.
The 120NBT's would be my first choice with the 7BR. My hunting buddy Steve used to have a stock 7BR XP and took several mulies at the 250 yard range succesfully. I have never had a stock 7BR long enough to load for it. I would buy them to customize, so i don't have any good loads for the 7BR.
Larry Sand had an XP or a H-S handgun in 284 without a brake or maybe someone else. Depending on the overall weight of the XP it may be just fine for you or you may prefer it braked. That is a personal preference.
I would recommend a brake though.

7BR

Barm,

I have only used H 335 in the 7BR and it worked well in my XP using 120 BTs. I'm sure there are other powders that work equally as well.

Hope all your deer hunting is successful--good luck.

P.S. I have shot a 284 without a brake on a T/C Encore and recoil was fairly stiff. Having a Holland QD or DE brake installed on an XP makes things enjoyable.

I bought a HS 284 in the Sil. model and the recoil with 140 gr BT's at full loads was a handful. I had a Vais brake installed and it is a breeze to shoot now. It is one of my favorite handguns (what am I saying, they all are my favorites) it does make it a tuff choice when taking them hunting. As you shoot your new toy you will find it quite addicting and hard to just have one of them. good luck and ewlcome to handgunning
nmhunter

284 Braked Or Unbraked

I have a shot an stock 7br XP rechambered to 284 and I would say it needs a brake on it. It's not unbearable to shoot it would just do better with a brake. I shoot a XP in 7.21 Lazz w/168gr Bergers and a Vais brake and Ernie's right it's puffcake.

xphunter, Mark Hampton, hshunter, TCkev,

Thank you all for the information provided. I'm going to play with the 7mm BR for a bit and see how I like it. I'll let you know when I decide to rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.