Savage Model 12 experience?

Csteiner

I currently have a Savage Model 12VLP and was at a local gun shop today looking at a model 12. The model 12 seems to have a much heavier barrel than my VLP plus it is a 1:7 twist compared to my 1:9.....anybody have any experience with the model 12 in .223? I am considering doing a trade in but want to see if it would be worth taking a hit on a trade in....the guy in the shop tells me he had one and it would do .25 MOA at 100yds with 69gr matchgrade ammo...can anyone verify that? I know no gun is "guaranteed" out of box, just looking for experience with this particular rifle. Thanks in advance!

On another note, the model 12 seems to have a heavier action as well as a much lighter trigger pull, I believe the guy told me he had it down to .8 ounces which pretty much once I touched it, it went off.....

You are referring to the LRPV. It has a special target action and super heavy barrel. Based on personal experience as well as what i've read over at savage shooters.com, the LRPV is probably a little more accurate, on average that a regular savage varmint gun. The drawback to the LRPV is that it still has a factory barrel. Some shoot great, others not so great. There is no guarantee that the LRPV will outshoot the VLP.

Csteiner,
I used to have a 12FV in 223. I had to sell it when my wife got a little carried away with her credit card. I replaced some time later with a 12BVSS in 223. They both shot around half MOA. I use the 69gr sierra matchking over varget and at 100 yards if the tiny little holes aren't touching or close to it, it's my fault.
I also fired a guys benchrest rifle built on the target action and target accutrigger and felt like my completely factory 12FV or 12BVSS could do anything his could.
There is a great review on Chuckhawks.com about the savage 12 series rifles. Their review mirrors everything I've ever experience or read and that's that a heavy barreled savage is a tack driver. The chuckhawks.com review didn't see anything significant between all the 12 series rifles regardless of single shot, magazine, long range precision, or whatever.
If you get a 12BVSS you'll be happy with it. If a savage 12 series doesn't shoot good enough for you then nothing ever will.

I agree with Teddy. My VLP 223 shoots 1/2 or better all day long with several loads and .3 consistently with 25.4 Varget, Sierra 60 g varminter, win cases, CCI BR4 primer.

Your VLP should be capable of very good accuracy. If it doesn't shoot, just spend ~ 250 bucks and put on a Shilen in about 10 minutes.

I have the 204 LRPV and love it. If everything goes right I can get 2 shoot groups touching. On a bad day I can still keep it under 3/4 moa at a 100 years. Love the rifle, best 900 I have ever spent.

Sounds like the precision varminter series model 12, heavy heavy bbl and the target action. You can tell it is a target action because it will be printed on the side of the action and the actual trigger will be red colored. As with pretty much any savage it should shoot lights out. If it is a 1-7 twist then go for the heavier 223 bullets, berger and hornady got ya covered, and your good to go. I have only found one hvy bbl savage that wouldnt shoot and we sent it back to savage and they fixed the prob, a few weeks later it was throwin .75 to .50 groups. That is pretty common with hvy bbl savages but getting .25 groups takes not only the rifle but a shooter as well.

of course the only way your gonna know if you can shoot quarter inch groups is if your rifle can do it anyway :D:D

i cant say that this rifle will be a improvment over the one you have but if it is a true target action that new 6-8oz trigger is awfully nice to have

take it easy
steve

I just picked up the savage precision long range varminter 22-250 1-9" Im looking for someone with with FIRST HAND EXPERIANCE! loads that shoot sub1/2 moa

I know this is really late for you guys who were actually using this post, but I might be helpful to anyone who check this out later.

I have the 12 LRPV in .22-250, in a 1:12" though, and it's the nicest production rifle I've ever seen (barring semi-custom of course lol). I wish I had bought it in a 1:9", or even in the 6mmBR. The gun shoots so good with 52 gr. bullets I'm afraid to switch the barrel etc. lol. With the 52 gr. HP Bergers and 33.3 gr. Varget it consistently shoots about .3"or less, and that's for 4 shots, including cold bore. It will shoot almost any load under .5", this gun is just a shooter.

I liked the action and trigger so much, that I bought a stripped action just to build a 1:8" twist 6mmBR on it (Hart barrel though).

I have a review here: Savage model 12 long range precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.