savage model 12

shooterpunk

hello all, im new here, but im in the market for a new varmint rifle. i think im going to get the savage model 12 low profile .22-250. is this a good choice? is the low profile just as accurate as the bvss? also is a single shot really that more accuate?
as for a scope i am trying to decide between a bushnell elite 3200 5-15x40 and a weaver v-classic 4-16x42, any opinions? price rang for scope is about $300 or less.
thanks a bunch guys

The new low-profile should be just as good as the 12BVSS. The stock has been re-shaped, but is still pillar bedded with the same action/barrel.

The single shot will probably be more accurate. The action would be stiffer and should provide better accuracy, but the difference for varmint hunting would not outweigh the magazine capacity for me. Most tactical rifles are repeaters and shoot very well.

Mike

Most any of Savage's varmint guns will shoot near the .5" mark , I personaly don't think that the action "stiffness" playes any role in the accuracy of a gun , if you bed the front of the action and the barrel about 2" ahead of the action , then you can float the rear of the action and all the force of the barrel , recoil is all directed to the stock.

As for the scope , the 3200 series scopes are in my oppinion the best glass you can find for the money , I have 4 5-15x50's and they are all MORE clear and probably brighter than the two Leo's O sold to get them.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.