savage lrp 260

D Scott

Hey, thanks in advance for any feedback and advice
I just picked up a savage lrp in 260, two questions,
1, I measured the chamber ,seating the bullet into the lands and it measured 2.760, .040 smaller than sammi specs(2.800) any guess if this short throat would help or hurt with heavier bullets trying to shoot to 1k,I was able to put 100% powder charge in the case but with seating the bullet fairly deep in the case compressing the powder a bit, would a deeper throat help this or is shorter better?

2 also one of the base holes in the receiver is not tapped out for threads its completly smooth, thoughts on sending it back to savage or just do it local?

thanks Scott

I would send the gun back to savage to have them tap the threads. Tapping is by no means a complicated process, but they do break and they seem to break at the worst times. If your rifle was being tapped by someone else when it broke I don't know if Savage would do anything about it. But call them first, their customer service was great the only time I've had to call them. Maybe they'll just tell you to do it locally.

The only other thing I would tell you to do before you call them is use your calipers to measure the diameter of the smooth hole and make sure it's the same size as your tapped holes. If it's bigger then there is the slight chance that the drill was galled and ran oversize or somehow the threads simply got ripped out. My best guess is that they tap their mounting holes offline by hand and somebody simply missed a hole and they'll do whatever it takes to fix it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.