Savage 260 LRP or 260 model 10/110 varmit hunter

K guys talk me into one or the other. From what can see is the difference is the LRP has a 26in barrel, varmit hunter has 24in. LRP has a HS Precision stock and the VH has qn accustock. Trigger on the LRP is a Target accutrigger and the VH is the basic accutrigger. The LRP I can get for $999 or the VH is $861 out the door. So is the extra $220 ish worth it??

Savage does three different Accutriggers. The varmit trigger being the middle one, and nowhere as good as the one that comes with the PTA actions. The LRPV's are so good that they've been banned from a lot of long range shoots, even though they are a standard factory rifle. The down side of the target trigger is that you must work the bolt slower to make it cycle correctly

The difference is upto the shooter's needs. I'd ask the dealer what he would sell you a custom shop rifle for. They list for $1725, but are a different animal that the LRPV. The one I looked over came with a three shot test target that was about .150" using off the shelf 6BR ammo! Plus you can buy it in just about any caliber that Savage sells, plus some they don't sell
gary

This gun is going to be a Deer/coyote gun for my nephew so 2lb trigger is plenty good.
You guys with 6.5x284's how much would you pay for used brass? Also how much recoil does the 6.5x284 have?

So greyfox, you are saying you would pick the predator hunter over the lrh in 6 .5-284? If so what would be your reasons?

Recoil seems pretty low to me for the size of the case. I don't have a lot to compare it to but Ami weighs about 110 lbs and she loves that rifle. Never complains of recoil. I don't have issues with it. It feels lighter than my 06 and 308 by a quite a bit. I was shooting a 204 so at first it felt heavier but now I don't even think about it.

So greyfox, you are saying you would pick the predator hunter over the lrh in 6 .5-284? If so what would be your reasons?

It would be purely the brakeless, heavier barrel of the Predator that I would prefer. Don't get me wrong. This is more aesthetic than performance oriented. My LRH is a great shooter.

I was trying to find info on barrel dia. of both and from what I found they where within .02 of each other at muzzle. Are you able to give me actuals? That would be great.

You are likey correct at the muzzle, but the main line of the barrels are not at all similar. I have had both in my hands at the store and there is quite bit of difference in the taper. My 116 has a full Varmint contour that tapers nicely to the end. With the fluting it is lighter than the Varminter or LRP from the what I read. Regardless the LRH shoots well. One of my buddies has put lots of rounds thru several LRH's and they all shot well. He was the one who insured me the 116 I have would shoot. He was right.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the choices. I realize this is a big investment but man, it is rare to see one that does not work well. All of the various charges I played with put .5-.7 MOA down range with very very little tuning. You will be happy I am sure if you choose LRP, LRH, 116, VM, etc. My buddy has a .260 LRP coming. It will be here next week I believe. Can't wait to get it broke in and shooting well.

My .02, which will end up closer to .06 when i'm done - there are 3 Predator Hunters in our family. Also one 116. All in 6.5x284. All 4 average 1/2 moa, most of the day, straight outta the box, using hand loads. Smaller and bigger 5-shot groups have happened, hence the 1/2 moa as an honest portrayal of their accuracy. All barrels are 24" long, measure .720" at the muzzle, are fluted, and have plenty of room for 140gr VLD's. All function flawlessly and kill paper and yotes on a regular basis. Fully loaded, including bipod, 11.3lbs. and under. The 116 weighs in a little lighter, despite the stainless barrel and action. I love the idea of owning an LRP in .260. Always wanted one. The 6.5 won out though. $830 out the door for the PH's and $783 for the 116. 6.5x284 Lapua brass isn't cheap compared to .260 Rem., but if you learn to anneal it properly, it'll last for many reloadings. Weight, the speed, and weapon cost were all factors in what we ended up with. Not to mention the cool factor of shooting the same cartridge that is continually in the running at places like Williamsport! Good luck with whatever you choose. I'd be proud to have either round in a gun as a gift.

My .02, which will end up closer to .06 when i'm done - there are 3 Predator Hunters in our family. Also one 116. All in 6.5x284. All 4 average 1/2 moa, most of the day, straight outta the box, using hand loads. Smaller and bigger 5-shot groups have happened, hence the 1/2 moa as an honest portrayal of their accuracy. All barrels are 24" long, measure .720" at the muzzle, are fluted, and have plenty of room for 140gr VLD's. All function flawlessly and kill paper and yotes on a regular basis. Fully loaded, including bipod, 11.3lbs. and under. The 116 weighs in a little lighter, despite the stainless barrel and action. I love the idea of owning an LRP in .260. Always wanted one. The 6.5 won out though. $830 out the door for the PH's and $783 for the 116. 6.5x284 Lapua brass isn't cheap compared to .260 Rem., but if you learn to anneal it properly, it'll last for many reloadings. Weight, the speed, and weapon cost were all factors in what we ended up with. Not to mention the cool factor of shooting the same cartridge that is continually in the running at places like Williamsport! Good luck with whatever you choose. I'd be proud to have either round in a gun as a gift.

This what is a response i was hoping i would get. That said i ordered a Predator hunter in .260. $761.76 out the door.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.