Savage LRH 7mm mag seatng depth testing results

Bginvestor

I thought I would post up some results ... definitely going in the right direction.. I shot three groups at various seating depths using the Berger Classic Hunter in 168 grains..(see pic for all reload data)

Top - 60 mil jump
Middle - 30 mil jump
Bottom - 10 mil jump

Groups shrank considerably as seating depth increased.. seating depth varied from 10 to 60 mil off lands..more testing to confirm results, but very happy so far! Any opinions on next steps is greatly appreciated.

Brian,

Judging by the tight group, I think you have found your seating depth. Load some more up and see if it repeats. If it does then time to go long.

Joe Reid used that bullet on a cow elk a few years back and he said it was the fastest kill he had ever seen. James Rhodes used it on an antelope which was over 500 yds and he only needed one shot.

Any upcoming hunts?

See you at the range one of these days.

Ross

Hey Ross!

Thanks for the advice.. I got a good feeling that I'm getting close; soon will go long distance..

Dad is coming up during my scheduled deer hunt, so I may just shoot with him.

See u at the range.

Brian

PS Upgraded my rear bag, its rock solid now!

Very interesting... I have a model 12 LRP and it was the very same story, wouldn't really shoot very well out long but seated them deep and it shot great. Now I have about a thousand rounds through it and it likes them out long... I ges maybe my fooling around with lots of really hot loads is torching my throat!

Very interesting... I have a model 12 LRP and it was the very same story, wouldn't really shoot very well out long but seated them deep and it shot great. Now I have about a thousand rounds through it and it likes them out long... I ges maybe my fooling around with lots of really hot loads is torching my throat!

yikes, requiring a different seating depth is an indication of throat erosion.. I'm working to a load that's easy on brass and still pushes me over 2900 fps..

Well I am guessing that you wont run into that problem any time soon mine is a 243win and I just kept creeping up and up till I got ejector marks then backed off 1 grain witch my chronograph told me was 3500fps with 87gr v-max's and 85gr SGK's. Moral of the story is I think maybe I abused it so I probably getting what I asked for!! Sure is fun though!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.