300wm seating depth test results

DoubleGobble00

After finding a good node, my groups were not as good as I'd liked. I tried the Berger seating depth test and had the following results... I'm not real impressed with the results but did have great SD on 80 grains at 0.08 off lands. I think I need to try neck tension next or primer change to help the groups. I'm thinking of sticking with 0.08 off and change/lighten neck tension.

300 WM
H1000
80 grain
Seating 0.01, 0.04, 0.08, 0.12
225 yards

AC0DB43A-6059-414E-A5C6-0FDDC2DCE847.jpeg

DoubleG

I haven't had good luck with the seating depth step size that Berger recommends. I ended up using a step size of 0.010".
Which bullet are you using?

I forgot to leave out the Bullet.... it's the 215 Bergers like you mentioned...

Yeah the jump they recommend seems extreme. I do think I have too much neck tension. I can tell I difference when seating with arbor press.

What primers do you typically use? I'm using 215M but heard the 210 might be worth a try

A CCI 250 would be worth a try. Im In the boat adjusting .010 at a time also and .005 to fine tune.

I have limited experience with Berger VLD bullets, but I followed their instructions for making them shoot. I found my Steven's 200 1:7 twist .243 liked them .130 off the lands.

Best 300yd group with Berger 115 bullets.

115 grain DTAC showed similar results.

I didn't test a whole lot, realized early on a nearly 12 lbs rifle wasn't something I'd hunt, so I sold it. I only put maybe 200 rounds down it playing with it. However, I learned a lot from it.

Last edited:
215 Berger? Try .030 off. Never seen a 215 not shoot .025-.045. Somewhere in there you should find something sweet. And 80 grains is a boat load for 300 WM

I thought 80 gr. seemed way up there as well. I find the Hogdon online data to be pretty close in terms of max loads and they recommend 78. gr. max for a 220 gr. bullet. I generally find an accuracy node to be below listed max. Personally, on a rough seating depth test, I pretty much always pick an arbitrary load about 2% below listed max (only after I've confirmed through shooting some lesser charges, that charge is safe) and then do a rough seating depth test in 30 to 40 thousandths increments. After finding a preferred "rough" seating depth for the bullet, I go back and do a full powder charge workup.

With my 98 Mauser and Douglas Supreme barrel .030 was the sweet spot with the 215. I tried closer with no luck

I'm wondering if the ideal seating depth has another variable, say if the throat of the barrel has it's edges broken (beveled) to some extent vs not. I ask that because I've seen that the distance off the lands info for both Bergers and the Hornady VLD, to seem a bit subjective and rifle dependent.

Thanks for the info. Yes, 80 grains is way up there but doesn't show any pressure signs in my rifle and is near the expected velocity. I wonder if I have a slow powder lot. I'll check primer pockets when working on this brass to see if I'm over working it.

I will have to give the 250s a try and loosen my neck tension to see if I can dial it in better

After finding a good node, my groups were not as good as I'd liked. I tried the Berger seating depth test and had the following results... I'm not real impressed with the results but did have great SD on 80 grains at 0.08 off lands. I think I need to try neck tension next or primer change to help the groups. I'm thinking of sticking with 0.08 off and change/lighten neck tension.

300 WM
H1000
80 grain
Seating 0.01, 0.04, 0.08, 0.12
225 yards

AC0DB43A-6059-414E-A5C6-0FDDC2DCE847.jpeg

DoubleG
that is not like a 215 berger I just set at 2-tho less then my AI OALmag and 77.5 of H-1000, but I have found the CCI-250LR mag primers work best so much so I traded off all my fed primers switch my old barrel out a 1-10 twist for a proof 1-9 and tried my old load and they shot a one hole group only thing that changed was my sd it went from 11 down to 8 sd. I shoot match prep WW brass but changing over to Gunwerks brass now. and all loading is done with wilson dies in line arbor press type

I agree on the 30 thou off. Has worked very good in a few 300 Win Mags. 215M, Nosler brass and H1000. Right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux. 80 gr does seem high unless a custom reamer was used. I stopped at 79 gr. No pressure signs and shoots great. I'm sure I'm close to max though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.