Savage long range hunter vs 110

That burns me up:mad:. They should know better:mad:. Also they list 'calibers' instead of cartridges!!:mad:
I love Savage rifle and build about three or more a year ... do not love their website.
I agree, their website leaves a lot to be desired. Love their out of the box rifles though..

I just bought 2 each 280AI in savage LRH's for my twin sons, they are the sweetest shooting rifles I have seen for quite awhile, we are shooting 1-2 MOA at 400 yds, not bad for their inexperience, just starting to experiment with loads and bullet's will let you know as we dial them in.

You can't go wrong with either one. Unless you really plan on shooting at longer ranges I would go with the 110. It's lighter for sure. 280AI is not a hard kicking gun so a break is really not needed. However if you do plan on shooting at longer ranges the LR hunter will definitely give you an advantage over the 110 for reasons some have already mentioned.

My LRH 7 rem mag was a 1/2" MOA shooter out of the box with handloads. Then the adjustable brake seized and I bought a suppressor so I put on a detach mount. It's still a 1/2 MOA gun. I am not sure it's exactly 24" vs 26" barrel. I think it's closer to 24" with the brake on and 26" with the brake off. You may not get the full advantage 2" more barrel, but you get some of it and that is why the POI moves.
It's still just 24" , either way.

It's still just 24" , either way.

Even if the gas is not vented out? I'd like to know the difference in velocity before I accepted that. Like I said, you may not get the full 2" advantage, but the ID is not much larger than the bullet so I bet you gain some.

Just noticed the new 110 High Country. Their website doesnt even list available cartridges but it looks interesting.

EDIT: Going through their search by cartridge it appears it's available in 243, 270, 7mm08, 6.5 creed, 6.5 PRC, 308, 30-06, 300WM, 300 WSM, 7mmRM, 280 Ackley, 22" barrel on many, 24" on mags.

Specs on the website now, 6.5 PRC now listed

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-high-country

110-highcountry-rightprofiletif-1908288.jpg

Last edited:
Even if the gas is not vented out? I'd like to know the difference in velocity before I accepted that. Like I said, you may not get the full 2" advantage, but the ID is not much larger than the bullet so I bet you gain some.
When it's in the closed position, it functions as a "muzzle forwarding device" like on an AR. The effective barrel length is 24" , the OAL barrel is 26" .

When it's in the closed position, it functions as a "muzzle forwarding device" like on an AR. The effective barrel length is 24" , the OAL barrel is 26" .

Then why does the POI shift? Maybe different harmonics, but I'd like to hear from someone who has run one both ways over a chrony. Even a suppressor adds a little velocity and that bleeds off a lot more gas than this device does in the closed position.

Not sure if it's the same way now since Savage streamlined their 110 line.
The 111 long range hunter has the varmint accutrigger, there's three main accutriggers. Standard, varmint and target. The varmint is a much better trigger than the standard. I was able to polish and tune my 111 to a very crisp 1.5-1.75 pounds. I can't get a standard to go that low with out firing.

A $7 dollar spring makes the standard trigger a varmint trigger. No other difference.

Try NSS they have the spring

Then why does the POI shift? Maybe different harmonics, but I'd like to hear from someone who has run one both ways over a chrony. Even a suppressor adds a little velocity and that bleeds off a lot more gas than this device does in the closed position.
You are correct! Barrel harmonics changed.

The barrel length is what the barrel length is. The crown does not move because you put a brake on it. Brakes need to be around .020-.040 over bore size.

If I were you and you have moderate mechanical aptitude I would build one. With enough shopping around you can get a nice Wilson barrel and B&C stock and have a very nice shooter under $1k. Most of my Savage builds come in around 8lbs. They are difficult to get light weight without custom ordering barrels and carbon stocks.

The barrel length is what the barrel length is. The crown does not move because you put a brake on it. Brakes need to be around .020-.040 over bore size.

I understand what you are saying, but I bet you are wrong if you ran it over a chrony. If the brake is open and the gas is vented off the max velocity is at the crown, sure. But, with only .020-.040 of space around the bullet you are not losing all of the pressure. This is why a can increases muzzle velocity. Is it a significant gain, maybe not, but I'm curious.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.