Savage long range hunter?????

Caleb85

I'm wanting to know if anyone has a savage long range hunter in 7mm mag...if they like it... If they don't...I want to know more about it ..is it wroth buying..and anything else about it ..please help! Thanks ..Caleb

Hey there Caleb,

I don't have the 7mm LRH, but I do have the 6.5X284. In the process of breaking in the barrel and getting to know the gun a little bit, I fell in love. While I was fire-forming some Nosler brass, I was printing 1/2" groups consistently. I haven't even shot the gun with the brake off, so unlike other reviews, I don't care if the brake sticks open. Also, don't be alarmed if the front end of the accustock touches the barrel. It is made to free float, and is super easy to take some 100 grit sandpaper or a dremel and sand it away from the barrel. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the 7mm. Hopefully we can get some others to chime in, as I know a few other members here have the 11/111 LRH.

Regards,

Connor

hey thanks Connor!! the rifle is for my dad she is tired of packing his VLS 243 deer hunting and want to get back on the 7mm saddle but without the heavy barrel.. he asked me to get on my " computer thing" and get some input on that rifle ..I think as soon as he can talk him self into selling the VLS he will buy the Savage.

I don't have the 111 but I have several Savages and been around many more. Very few problems are associated with these rifles from what I can see. I really like mine and I was a dyed in the wool Remington fan. I would not even bat an eye at buying another savage. All the savages I have been around are shooters, by that I mean sub .5 MOA.

I have always been a remington fan, have all the VS,VSSF, BDL Varminters,Sendaros,500 Series rimfires and then got into the 'SPS' and saw that remington was starting to go down hill, so just looking around I bought a Savage 11VT in 308 put a leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 LR and man dose it shoot!!!! So I know what your talking about BrentM.. Also he wants to know about the recoil on that 111.. Thanks.

The muzzle brake on the 111 is awesome, and although it is adjustable (on/off) I always keep it open, and will probably never change that. The recoil associated with the gun is almost completely negated by its weight and muzzle brake. It is a gun that is a wee bit on the heavy side, so It might not be my first choice in a standard "walking" gun. I dislike carrying guns on slings, so my eberlestock packs have the scabbard attached. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Connor

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.