Savage F-Class for hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by quickdraw, Nov 25, 2008.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Am I crazy to think about using the Savage F-Class 6.5-284 for hunting? I hunt deer/elk/antelope in Colorado. Sometimes we spot and stalk, but we've been known to walk eight miles a day also. I'm a big guy, but I don't know if considering a 13.3lb rifle (without a scope) for hunting is crazy. Thanks.

2. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

If you have a strong back, you'll be OK!!:D
    My 338 weighs in around 13.5lb's scoped and loaded with 4 rounds and I'll tell you that after a 6-8 mile hike she gets left on the back more that I'd like.

3. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

My Dad used one on antelope this fall. The butte in the background was the firing point.

[​IMG]

4. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

My edge is 15.2# i think with a good sling it wouldn't be to bad for a day hunt. but it would be nice to have one around 9-10#.

5. jimmy10pt

jimmy10pt Member

I just toted mine around for about 4 miles on a doe hunt today. Not bad on the back but you MUST have some type of non slip sling cuz its so barell heavy. The gun is a joy to shoot and prone w bi pod u can spot hits at 400 plus.