Savage action

Ronred

what kind of accuracy is anyone getting using an old 110 savage action and ready to screw on barrels. I'm interested in doning one in a .280 ackley im.

I just had a rifle built around my savage 111 action in 7mm REM. Used a 26" Criterion pre-fit barrel and Bell & Carlson stock with timney trigger. Still in break-in but my first few groups are already at 1 MOA or a little under with factory Hornady ammunition. I'm new to precision shooting but am pleased with this set-up so far.

I just finished load development for a .280AI built on a Savage 110 action/Criterion barrel/Bell & Carlson stock. Used Berger 168gr vld's, H4831, Nosler brass and Federal 210M primers. The load I settled on runs @2840 fps and shot into a quarter minute at 200 yards.

I have a 28" Lothar Walthor in 6.5X284, 26" Shilen in 6mmBR and a 28" PacNor in .300WinMag. All varmint profile a d all DIY's.
The 6.5X284 LW shoots great, best group was 12.5-13" @ 1500yds. I've had it a year or two and well pleased with it's accuracy and ease of cleaning. Has not copper fouled yet.
The 6mmBR (1-8t), I put it on around the 20th of March this year and shot my first competition (informal) ever and came in 3rd out of 75 shooters. I'm sure others have done better but it is what it is. This barrel has not shot anything over .4". The majority of the time the groups are in the .1's and .2's, with either 108gn ELD-M's or 95gn Berger VLD's. This was a clearance pre-fit from NSS. $300 to my door!
I'm still working with the PacNor .300 WinMag. I've only shot it 10 times. The first four to get on paper and zeroed. The last six (today) were two 3-shot groups with Norma brass RL-26 and 215 Hybrids. Both groups were .5". Trying to find max load with this combo but I'm missing my muzzle brake!
After shooting a .300WinMag with full horse power loads and a muzzle brake, laying that down, playing with a 6mmBR for a couple of months and then driving back in to an "un-braked" .300 is a jolt! I really had forgotten what a beast the WinMag could be!
I guess you can count me 3 for 3 with Savage pre-fits.

A10DD934-D1BB-4708-8FE2-2D60A618E9AE.jpeg
They will shoot.
7RM
Shilen SSM + NSS lug and nut
McMillan Game Scout
Rifle Basix trigger

I have a 1960s 110 rebuilt to use modern parts. It has an Xcaliber barrel in 6.5 SAUM. I trued the action since the receiver lugs had some damage from something. I've got loads dialed in to about 1/3 MOA.

I have a short action savage and put a Criterion prefit 260 barrel on it. I am a target shooter and shoot 600 yds. all the time and it will put it in the X ring when I do my part. Also have shot it at 1000 very well but what thrilled me was hitting an 18 inch plate at 1760 twice. Criterion makes great barrels. That was shooting 140 Berger Hybrids.

what kind of accuracy is anyone getting using an old 110 savage action and ready to screw on barrels. I'm interested in doning one in a .280 ackley im.
I did exactly what you thinking of doing. Had an old Savage 110C in .30-06. Saw a "close-out" ad in Sportsman's Guide for a stainless Savage 110 barrel in .280 A.I. Already had a cheap Ram-line stock on the "06" with the barrel free-floated. Bought the Hornady "Go" and "No Go" barrel gauges and a Savage barrel wrench for my gunsmith. He made the change and it shoots like a dream. I get .25 MOA at 100 yards with 140 gr. Barnes TXS over 60 gr. RL22. Have taken 2 deer, 1 elk and an antelope with it.
So, to answer your original question, I'd be like "Nike" and say, "Just do it!" :)

I put a Criterion 20 Practical barrel and NSS lug and nut on 110 long action to have a second 20P for prairie dog shooting. Wow. Groups better than my short action Savage with Shilen SSM 20P which ain't no slouch.

Criterion makes a good barrel for sure. Mine is not very picky about what I feed it and it cleans up super easy. Will be doing g a criterion remage qhen I shoot out my barrel on my Remington 700.

20171015_190744.jpg

110 Savage with an 24" 264wm ER Shaw barrel. It's shoots better than I can!

Choate stock. SWFA scope, EGW base, Vortex rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.