Savage action with weird action screw spacing?

eddybo

I ran into an interesting fix for stocks with the wrong action screw spacing a day or so ago. A buddy wanted a new stock for a savage but couldn't find a stock that would work. We had an old stock that was close but theaction screw holes were .250 too far apart. I am sure experianced smiths have used this trick and probably better ones to make stocks fit, here is what I did.
I centered the old hole in the mill, then moved the stock .250 in order to center the quill where the new hole needed to be. Then I used a one inch endmill to cut the new hole and completely remove the old hole. I then used a piece of an old barrel to make a stainless pillar the fit in the hole with just a bit of play. Screwd the pillar on the action and epoxied the pillar in the stock. Here is what the work around looks like. I kinda like it.

bigpillar.jpg
Sorry for the pic quality as usual, maybe I should clean the lens on my cell phone:)

Would you mind telling us a little more about this?

What stock did you modify to fit the Savage?

Short action or long?

Centerfeed magazine or staggared?

Is the tang floated after installation?

I think it is a cool idea, although I do not have equipment required ...

Borrowed this from Savageshooter.com

1st. Gen Short Actions = 4.522" (1959 to 1987, staggered feed magazine)
2nd Gen Short Actions = 4.275" (1998 to 2006, staggered feed magazine)
3rd Gen Short Actions = 4.400" (2006 and up, center-feed magazine, not shown in photo below)

actionlengths.jpg

I'm guessing that eddybo is fitting a new centerfeed action into an older more common staggerfeed stock, or an intermediate action into a short action stock.

Last edited:
You got it, just mating a newer model Short action stock to an older model short action. I bedded the action in the stock just a few hours ago.

This was about the third time I ran into someone with one of the older actions who could not find a stock, I have never looked and am sure they are out there, but this stock was already there.
The stock used was one of those BC duramax stocks, but I do not see why it could not be done with just about any of them. It would be pretty easy to stick one of the older actions into a mcmillan inletted for one of the newer actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.