10/22 action too loud

eddybo

I just got my supressor threaded onto my 10/22 and the action is way too loud. Is there any way to lessent the bolt slap?

yup that looks what I need. thanks for sharing the info. I wonder if one of those buffers plus a weaker recoil spring would would be even better?

When I read the tital I figured that you must have gotten your can in , its amazing how much noise a little semi auto makes when thats all you can hear huh ?

That little buffer will help alot for the noise but you will still get a little bit of noise but you have metal to metal contact so thats not gonna go away.

What brand and model suppressors did you get?

It is a liberty sparrowhawk, but i do not know much about them. It has k baffles kinda like the ones you make. I do know that cb caps are very very quiet through it. If I could find a magazine that would feed them I wouldnt worry about a buffer because the cb caps will not cycle the bolt. I would just work the action manually. In hindsight I wish that I had put this on a bolt action. The only bolt action .22s I have are all for ARG competition and I didnt want to mess any of them up so I went with what I had on hand.

CCI CB longs should be able to feed with the magazine, but as you previously noted you'll need to manually work the bolt with every shot.

I've never shot with a supressor before, but I'd be willing to bet it would produce next to no sound.

I fixed it:) I removed the return spring and used a belt sander to weaken it substantially. Then I threaded a very strong short spring onto the rear of the original spring. The short spring keeps it from slapping rearward as hard and the weakened return spring doesnt slap the bolt forward as hard. While I had it apart I put everything on the buffer and it made a nice change in the trigger pull. Still a little hard but it breaks nice now.

With a good can on a bolt action 22 with any sub sonic ammo you can hear the firing pin hit , generaly no louder than a sling shot or one of those old Red Rider bb guns.
Hell even with stingers in a bolt gun its much quieter than 95% of decient quality air pellet rifles

James,
How loud is my whisper going to be compared to the rimfire? Man I wish they would hurry up with that barrel. I figured I would have the gun together and would be waiting on the ATF to let me have my can. Instead the can is sitting in the safe and I am waiting on kreiger to cut a 7.5 twist .30 cal barrel.

If the can is a decient quality , with sub sonic ammo it shoulden't be any louder than the weaker pellet rifles , I've shot sub sonic 308 through several good cans and the firing pin noise is clearly noticable , the report from the gas leaving the can is not as loud as breaking the quick connect fitting on an air line with a very short hose , kinda like a "pffft". I'm sure that the Whisper woulden't be louder than the sub sonic 308 as long as its sub sonic.

even with full hous 308 ammo through a good can is not as loud as a bolt action 22 long rifle with standard speed ammo , completly safe to shoot without hearing protection.

What model is your 30 can can?

It is a liberty black raven, dont know anything about the quality. I decided that if it was junk I could rebuild parts of it to make it okay. It does use K baffles and the machine work doesnt look bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.