savage 338 lapua

Must be nice to get 6 loads from brass. If only lapua would whip me up some ultramag stuff. Oh well Bertram is so I guess I should be happy. Has anyone googled to see if theres any dope on the web about these issues? Ive been told by a smith or two that the bolt thrust is too high with the lapua case. I know savage did some stuff to the action to deal with such issues but it still makes ya go Hmmmmm.
Kinda funny also I had 2 hunters this year who decided to get a 338 after seeing mine. I told both I would whip them one up but they didnt wanna shoot a non lapua. (everyone asks if my gun is a lapua). Now Im hearing all this + one of them paid 2k for his with the extra hoopla.

I am expecting to get 10+ firings. Broz has/had 15 firings on his 338 Lapua brass with full tilt loads.

Check this link. Looks like there arre a few idiosyncracies with the gun and brass. Apparently some have been sent to smiths and that is detailed. Looks like mainly a brass issue according to most. Check the link its pretty neat.
This makes me wonder if action isnt handling the bolt thrust. Ive always heard that would be an issue for the case.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/26/savage-model-110-ba-in-338-lapua/

Tomorrow i will try the scotch tape and i just recieved a hornady shoulder bump guage that i will compare with also. Happy 2013!!

Riley

+1

I like remingtons, I owen both but out of the box accuracy my money in on Savage! :D

+1

In my opinion savage has the best factory out of box accuracy out there right now.

And the savage 338 LMs were having problems with sticky bolts light or hot loads but i have yet to see any problems with it and im loaded pretty warm.

Good luck

My factory Hornady loads measured 4.328 using the hornady headspace insert thingy and fired brass measured 4.335. I think i figured out my pressure problems, my fired brass that had very slight resistance measures 4.335, my brass that i put through my body die measured 4.334.5 - 4.335. I dont think i am bumping the shoulder back far enough. Just enough that it closes without resistance but not enough that the case can be extracted easily and causing high pressure. I reset my die to 4.333. I will see how high i can go (in terms of powder) next time i am at the range. Can the minimal shoulder bump explain the ejector marks i was getting?

Riley...

You need to state that. Ypu have posters thinking you've loaded numerous rounds with no case mouth issues. We know that can't be done with a 338 case.....

My factory Hornady loads measured 4.328 using the hornady headspace insert thingy and fired brass measured 4.335. I think i figured out my pressure problems, my fired brass that had very slight resistance measures 4.335, my brass that i put through my body die measured 4.334.5 - 4.335. I dont think i am bumping the shoulder back far enough. Just enough that it closes without resistance but not enough that the case can be extracted easily and causing high pressure. I reset my die to 4.333. I will see how high i can go (in terms of powder) next time i am at the range. Can the minimal shoulder bump explain the ejector marks i was getting?
toddc, any thoughts on this?

Any one neck turning their brass? I recall reading in a mag that savage has an intentionall tight throat around the case neck and little free bore.

Maybe in an effort to increase case life?

Me thinks I will build a 338 norma. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.