Savage 220 rocks in Iowa

gonewest

I shot my first deer with a shogun this yr. I bought a new 20 ga. SAvage for a hunt in Iowa. First buck I see is the biggest I buck I ever saw maybe 170 BC and he's 375 yrds away. Passed up a few nice bucks but shot a10 pt in the mid 140's second evening. What surprised me is the shot I had which was a frontal quarting shot. Didn't seem to effect him. He just turned and trotted off. I am used to using a .270 and they usually bolt or go down after you hit them. But the deer only went about 100 yds and went down. Hope I draw tag again.

Congratulations on your Buck Being a Longrange hunting forum I am sure there are others besides myself that are interested in what kind load and what accuracy you are getting from your new savage. Please post some pictures of the Buck and your Targets. Thanks.

I have problems posting photos. But I am shooting 2 3/4 in. 20 Guage Remington Accutips slugs. I get better than 1 in groups at 100yds. I had mine sighted in at 3 in high at 100. It was right on at 150 yds. But at 180 it was 8-9 in. low. Others I know with the same gun use 3 in slugs and get a little more distance. But I practiced with mine alot at 150 and it grouped real well. But had to let cool after 2 shots to get a real good group. The barrel heats up quick. But I couldn't have been more happy with the trigger pull and the way the gun shoots. I have no problem hunting shotgun states.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.