Savage 12 FV / Hornady 40 gr V-Max

I just bought a Savage 12 FV in .204 Ruger. Theonly factory ammo that Gander Mountain had was Hornady 40 gr. V-max, I bought 4 boxes. I put a Nikon buckmaster 4.5 X 14 X 40 on it, bore sighted it and took it to the back yard. I was using an 8" paper plate which was about as good a group as I could get, and this at 50 yds. I loaded 5 32 grain V-Maxes and went back to the bench. At 50 yds. the were in one ragged hole. I've noticed a lot of talk on forums about how good or bad the 40 gr V-Max shoots, mostly bad. I wanted to shoot something in 40 gr. range but I'm not sure now. Help please

Don't worry about the groups on your new Savage until you have at least 100 rounds down the tube.

Did you clean in between rounds?

sounds like it doesn't like the 40 grainers, not the first post I've seen about this. Were the bullets tumbling or keyholing on the target?

after a hundred or so rounds you will see some improvement -- but if you are getting 4 inch groups at 100, the break in isn't gunna get you to shoot .5 inch groups at 100. sounds like your gun doesn't like the heavier bullets.

I have the same gun and the same problem.
The answer is 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings.
If you handload I can give you some data.
This seems to be a common problem with the 40gr V max.
Most folks have better luck with the 39 sierras.
I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .3-.4 range with the 39sbk's.

Went out on a pd hunt and hit 3 out of 4 at 400yds with it.

Aloco is right on. You have to find a bullet that your gun likes.

I have found that one of the bullets usually shoots good in the Savage 204's, but mostly the Sierras. I have 3 of them and my buddies have 4 more. Only 2 of them shot better with the VMax.

If you were just starting out, I would suggest to try both, but since the VMax didin't work ,
I feel there is a high probability the Sierras will shoot good.

I also had awesome success with the 35gr bergers.

I now have about 200 rounds through the gun and it still does not like 40 grainers. I cleaned the barrel after every fourth shot to answer one question. To the other one, yes, the bullets were tumbling at 50 yards.

Thanks for all the interest, I'm going to load some lighter bullets see where I can get to.

I now have about 200 rounds through the gun and it still does not like 40 grainers. I cleaned the barrel after every fourth shot to answer one question. To the other one, yes, the bullets were tumbling at 50 yards.

Thanks for all the interest, I'm going to load some lighter bullets see where I can get to.

Odd part here, the 32 and 39 BK's tumble in my 12FV.

In the 20 caliber bullets from Hornady and Sierra, the physical shape of the two bullet weights are nearly identical (if not identical) within the brands. You will notice a difference in the length of the shank of the bullet that comes into contact with the lands, I call this the "bullet/barrel contact area", which helps determine if the bullets will like the twist rate and groove diameter of the barrel you are shooting.

Look in the end of your barrel, is there ANY copper coloring? If so, copper buildup will also cause bullets to tumble.

I have the same rifle also and tried the 40 V-max and had the same problem you have.

If you are reloading its not a problem, the 40 gr. Berger will give you the best accuracy you can get out of your 204.

I have a little over a 1000 rounds shot on pds at all ranges and I found very early that the 39 Sierra was very accurate. I tried some 40 Bergers and couldn't see any difference at 100 yds. Both were less than half inch.

It was when I got out on the pd towns and started shooting in excess of 100 yds. The 40 Bergers are more accurate past 300 yds.

Both are excellent, but the Bergers will outshoot the Sierras at longer distances.

Also, the Bergers can be used for coyote if that is what you are after. I would not recommend the Sierra for coyote. The Berger has a little bit thicker jacket.

I am using 4895 and Rem SRBR primers. I found primers made a big difference in my Savage.

Good luck.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.