Hornady 53. gr v-max, anybody tried?

I contacted their tech support about the 53 gr. and asked if they would stabilize in a 1 in 14 twist and they response was quote: Yes, this will easily stabilize in a 1-14".

Just wanted to share that if anyone had concerns like I did.

This was the same response I received when I talked with them, I hope they are correct.

I just looked them up on their web page. But their lighter ? How is that going to translate into higher BC ? Look Nosler has a 55gr Boat tail bullet with plastic tipped bullet and its BC is lower ? Besides how much difference is .40 BC going to make ? A while back I connected with a coyote at nearly 300yds with 55gr V-Max out of a AR-15. I hardly had to apply much hold over in High desert thin air.I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

it's got a lot to do with the actual bullet profile and length. The higher B/C the faster the twist rate needed. Speer makes a note in their manual that they do not recommend a 1:12 barrel for their 62 grain bullet with a B/C just over .30. The Nosler 55 grain BT is still higher than a 55 grain Vmax, and that's why they don't do well in 14 twist barrels. Speed has little to do with it after a certain point
gary

Ok, just got the 53'ers in today. They are indeed .829. The tapper is not as drastic on the 53's as it is on the 50gr v-max. Looks like my OAL to kissing the lands will be 2.36 with the 53's vs. 2.29 w/50's. I find this kind of funny since this is the same OAL (2.36) for my pet load which is a 50gr blitz king. I will be adding benchmark to the powder line up.
My wife asked why the box was so large for just 200 bullets when it arrived… When I opened it to my SURPRISE there was also a Prochrono Digital included with the purchase! :rolleyes:

I just got 200 of these bullets along with the new Hornady 8th edition loading book. Both ordered from natchez shooters supply

In the book under the 222 magnum, 22 ppc, 219 donaldson wasp, 219 zipper, 225 winchester, 224 weatherby, 22-250, 220 swift and 223wssm it states that the 53 vmax will NOT stabilize in 14 twists and slower.

It does not say that under the 222 and 223.

Not sure why.

I also have a brand spanking new 223 ackley improved that I am looking to see how these bullets work in as well as my regular 223.

Both of these are 12 twists.

I just got 200 of these bullets along with the new Hornady 8th edition loading book. Both ordered from natchez shooters supply

Do they have any loads listed for the .223 and the new 53 gr V-max? I'd be interested in any loads with 4198, TAC, or Reloder-10x if they do. I like the look of these bullets, and hope I can find a nice accurate load for my AR.

I look forward to trying those in my RRA 1-8.

I have also toyed with the idea of instead of a 223AI, going with a 22-204 with a
1-8 or 1-9 twist. That should make a zinger a little faster than the 223-AI with cases
that are easy to form & still good barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.