Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

What do you Savage shooters think of the safety? I've only handled a few examples of the 110, and I felt like the tang safety was somewhat too well protected where it sat.

They are ugly and I hate the safety. I had one savage rifle and sold it. I hear they shoot great but I'll never pay for one again. I'd rather accurize my Rem 700's or stick with my Sako and Win model 70's. Just my opinion of course. 😉

Hey Bob how would you compare the smoothness of the Tactical verse say a Remington? How stiff is the stock and what material is the detachable mag system on your rifle? My understanding is it accepts AICS mags which is a nice option. Bass Pro Shops had a sale on them recently.
I am pretty impressed with the stiffness of the stock and it feeds great from the AI style magazine. I would say the smoothness is not quite as good as a Remington.

1609959929794.jpeg

I have a 110 tactical hunter, the Cabela's special and the only problem I've had is the ejector. It was really weak so I replaced both ejector and extractor with new parts from Midway and it's been fine since. The stock is terrible too but got a used accustock to fix that.

I think the extractor and ejector wearing out over time is probably the only weakness in the design. Replacement kit is about $25 and it is easy to replace.

Aftermarket availability of good stocks might be considered a weakness, but I've had good experiences with B&C, so I usually start there.

As long as you give it a once over and make sure it's in normal working condition, you shouldn't have any problems. Savage 10/110 is my go to action.

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob
Pretty nice rifle,... if you can't have a Remington...

Savage is like the dodge of the big three. It will always be a steel tube built for economy and utility, and cheaper production costs. With the trigger thing I read about but never experienced. I have had two ejector pins go bad along with the springs. (Axis has light hammer strikes, and flex stock) back to 110. Accurate, inexpensive, utility hunt tool, that I appreciate. Rebarrel.? Sure. Rebuild and hang bling on it. No.
Throw some rocks.

Last edited: