Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

One of the frustrating things about Savage Arms is their apparent tone deafness when it comes to customer complaints and service after the sale. Commitment to dealing with customer identified issues has to start at the very top and has to be made an essential company goal and priority.
Even diehard fans on Savage Shooters website have commented on the vast room for improvement in this aspect of Savage operations.
I attempted to purchase a extractor, spring, ball for my FP110.
Savage guy that replied wanted the serial number off the gun.
So I replied with it, then he says that Savage doesn't make those specific parts any more. Really?. Bolt head hasn't changed in years. Sheesh!

I attempted to purchase a extractor, spring, ball for my FP110.
Savage guy that replied wanted the serial number off the gun.
So I replied with it, then he says that Savage doesn't make those specific parts any more. Really?. Bolt head hasn't changed in years. Sheesh!
If you still need or just want those, go over to Savage Shooters and pose the issue. VERY helpful site.

Thanks! From an earlier post I went to Kinney and placed my order.
In order to ensure that the original extractor and ejector in my 110 that so far have functioned fine continue to do so, I got a spare kit, and I do believe it was from Kinney as well. If you want to make sure that any original part of anything does not fail, get a spare! It`s a law of nature akin to gravity!

Hi fellas,

I just acquired a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win and was considering this rifle for a possible Alaska trip but I am not real familiar with Savage. I saw on another forum folks questioning the reliability of the 110 for competition shooting so I began to wonder if it it's a great choice for out of state hunts where I cannot just run back home for another rifle or easily pack an extra. What experiences good or bad have you all had? What should I upgrade if anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bob
When I needed a rifle that would shoot good, be cheap, be reliable, and not be scared of it being stolen to take through Africa for a hunting trip, I bought a savage 300 win mag.

When I needed a rifle that would shoot good, be cheap, be reliable, and not be scared of it being stolen to take through Africa for a hunting trip, I bought a savage 300 win mag.
Bingo.

Mine are absolute workhorses that I'm not afraid to use hard and take into the bush, the snow, the back of a truck for a bumpy ride, etc.

I sometimes fantasize about the day I have money for more expensive rifles but then realize I'd be afraid to actually use the dang things!!!! 🤣

So to tell the truth if I had more money I might have like one or two truly NICE rifles but the rest would be a lot more savages, Weatherby vanguards, and especially old beaters in need of some TLC and attention. The older I get the more I find older guns that aren't made anymore more interesting. But not the expensive collectible mint condition type. They type fewer people want anymore that are itching to be used again! 🤣.

My old husqvarna M98 sporter in 8x57 comes to mind. It was unloved and unwanted, and I rescued it!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

To further derail this thread haha, i will say, I've never had an issue with reliability of my savage rifles BUT…there is something about that husqvarna m98 as well as my BRNO ZG47 (another CRF mauser type action from 1956 in my case) that inspires all kinds of confidence regarding both reliability and durability. These two old beat up rifles I'm sure could take more of a beating than just about any modern push feed plunger ejector type bolt gun regardless of price point. Tough as nails. Possibly tougher (I've seen some flimsy nails in my day )

It`s very interesting ( at least to me ) the regard in which Savage rifles are held here as opposed to other web sites. While I think most here would agree that there are more refined and "smoother " operating guns ( Tikka, Howa and Bergara maybe ), posters here don`t go out of their way to absolutely trash and denigrate Savage firearms in general and particularly those who shoot and own them. Honest and civilly put disagreements and criticisms concerning different guns is fine and makes for interesting discussion. Crude and personal disparagement does not, IMO. Glad I found this web site!

The ones of us old enough to have owned Savage rifles built in the 70's and 80's still have memories of rifles that would jam, poor barrels, junk furniture, poor craftsmanship, poor product inspection, no product warranty, no quality control and no company support. I still have a few 99's put back but I will not have one newer than 1960, even to lever a stuck truck out of the mud. Most were happy when they went bankrupt selling lawn mowers. Still not the rifle they should be with their history. AccuTrigger is a marketing ploy to make you think you are getting something special, your not. Barrels are still soft and if you shoot big bores you will find out that around 1k- 1.5k you will need to rebarrel, less if your caliber is overbore and you load hot. They sell them cheap because they are cheap. Happy shooting.

The ones of us old enough to have owned Savage rifles built in the 70's and 80's still have memories of rifles that would jam, poor barrels, junk furniture, poor craftsmanship, poor product inspection, no product warranty, no quality control and no company support. I still have a few 99's put back but I will not have one newer than 1960, even to lever a stuck truck out of the mud. Most were happy when they went bankrupt selling lawn mowers. Still not the rifle they should be with their history. AccuTrigger is a marketing ploy to make you think you are getting something special, your not. Barrels are still soft and if you shoot big bores you will find out that around 1k- 1.5k you will need to rebarrel, less if your caliber is overbore and you load hot. They sell them cheap because they are cheap. Happy shooting.
Well im not all that sure there would be many others with any history at all at this point.
But ive always been thankfull that they cared enough about lefty shooters to be the first in this country to make a lefty action.
I got my first one in the early 60s, a premier grade model in 30/06.
From across the room most thought it was a Wetherby mark V,
and it was also a pretty decent shooter.
About 15 years ago i got my grandson a model PCF or something that came in 338 Lapua and 308 only.
I brought the gun from the store, cleaned the barrel, and loaded a few 150 grain spitzers with 43 grains of 4320.
The scope was new also, a Nikon Buckmaster,which they mounted and bore sighted at the store in Clearfield Pa.
I took it outside to our 100 yard range and the first shot was pretty close to my aiming point.
I was shooting at one of those orange target dots about 1 1/2" in diameter.
Anyway the next 5 shots had 4 all touching, and 1 about a half inch away. One of the best groups ive ever shot with any gun, including a few customs.
To this day that orange sticker is still on the stock of that gun.
About a month later i watched through tripod mounted glasses as my young grandson took a porkupine out of a tree at almost 900 yards with it, shooting from a bench as we always do when hunting and practicing at long range.
So i would argue that they still offer a pretty decent product, especially considering the cost, and the fact that for some at least there arent many better options.

All I know is that all three of my Savage rifles have and are serving me well. My 110 Storm in .223 has been flawless in the two years and several hundred rounds that I`ve had it. Boringly accurate gun.
I spent this morning zeroing and shooting my new Savage Model 12 LRPV. Shot several groups, all of which were sub-MOA, the smallest at .3 and the largest at .7. Perhaps not world class, but good for yours truly! And......what the gun cost me did not fall into my category of " cheap ", certainly not compared to other Savage rifles and even some other brands.

I'm on my third barrel on a couple of my Savages. Both were originally chambered in .338 Lapua magnum. Zero problems so far.

At this point I doubt I'll ever spend the money for a custom rifle again. All-in my Savages cost a third of my one custom rifle, and shoot as well or better.

I never knew Savage made lawnmowers?
Did I understand correctly?