Savage 110 Hunter -- Experience? Using this for semi-custom?

I have a few savage rifles and like them very much, all shoot very well. All are factory except one that I rebarreled to 35 Whelen, that's all I did to it, works grate. Boyds make a lot of different stocksa nd they make them for savage rifles. To see what all they make you will need to look on their web site and may even want to order right from them.
Got a 35 whelen the first time this year I'm shoot stuff out there at 400 plus yards very happy

My definition of a "decent" action is one that will feed reliably, shoot very accurate, and not require a lot of work to do that. If they come at a reasonable price as well that's just icing on the cake. Savage actions and guns in general are decent guns, just lose the stock and bed around the pillars. Good recoil lug and headspace are helpfull also, especially when you can do the work at home and save $. Stocks theres McMillian, Manners, Stockade, as well as B&C. Don't let people put em' down till you see how well their guns shoot, bugholes speak pretty loudly at the range:0 Dave

I replaced stock parts with Rifle Basix sav2 trigger, Shilen ssm barrel, NSS recoil lug & barrel nut on my 110LA. Had McMillan inlet the Game scout stock and bedded myself.
Bead blasted and threaded the varmint contour barrel. Beast 4 port brake.
It shoots in the 3's with 168 Bergers, so it is plenty do-able. It's heavy with Vortex Razor on top. 16.8 lbs. almost 13 without the scope

I will look up specs for McMillan part and beast 4 port brake I will my on parts am very excited to start on new project almost though with my master gunsmith ing course so I can start working on others it helps when u a Machinist God bless u thanks for help

I had a couple Savages that were very accurate out of the box factory rifles. When the barrels were shot out I decided to try the Criterion pre-fits. Both rifles turned out to be exceptional shooters. Thousands of rounds through these actions with no issues except a worn ejector plunger spring in one of the rifles after 3000 rounds. Beefed up the extraction/ejection for a few bucks by replacing the .125" extractor detention ball with a .140", and using the Midway long stem/heavy spring ejector replacement kit from Midway. Takes about 5 minutes and it's rock solid. Not the prettiest or smoothest actions, but they will certainly get the job done.

D73B26CE-FF10-4EF3-93ED-29ADF973FCC6.jpeg AA156F68-BC68-4EA3-BE68-B12448E2F0C7.jpeg
Frim my LRP with a 6.5x47 Criterion Heavy Target barrel.
B67E6887-1B21-44F0-A732-46090DC7A5ED.jpeg

My factory savage 300 win le version with factory hs precision stock and lug bed job shoots half Moa at 800 yards. 208 grain amax and h1000. Off bags and a bench on a calm day. Boringly accurate. (Haven't shot it further due to range constraints). 110 action

some guy just set long range record with factory savage. For the money. Awesome guns.

I bought my 110 action just to try one out. I've got trued Remington, Borden, and Defiance. Like them all. We will see how I like the savage.

Okay I finally get to tell this one.. I built a custom 300 WinMag for a client a while, 10 years, back. it was a older version without the adjustable trigger, accu-trigger, I put on a heavier profile Shilen match grade barrel, heavy recoil lug, made sure everything lined up, put a bell and Carlson stock and set it up for long range Elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts