Savage 110 FCP HS Precision

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lgray88, Nov 10, 2011.

1. lgray88

lgray88 Member

Hi everyone been a while since i was last here , so i thought it best to re-introduce myself.

Im Liam and i live on the Shetland Islands just north of Scotland. I have recently had my firearms licence upgraded to having a 338 Lap mag i have been shooting some mid-range targets out to 500 yards with my .22-250 with some success and id like to progress beyond 1000 yards soon , initially i thought to get a a rifle custom made then thought it would be cheaper to just go down a factory made rifle route. So i have mentioned said rifle in the title of the post. But i cant seem to find that much info on it, can anyone shed some light on this, as all i read about is the scope base not being the advertised as 20moa.

I would also be thinking to top it off with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25

Cheers

Liam

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Well a buddy of mine just bought the same rig and he's very pleased with it. Hasn't gotten a lot of rounds down range as yet but it's shooting sub .75 moa and isn't even through the break in period yet.

He topped his with a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with the Z-1000 reticle and has been well pleased.

You will want to plan on a very good recoil pad and effective muzzle brake because they can be a bit tough on the shooter.

Best advice is before buying, find someone who has one who'll let you try their's out for a few rounds unless you've shot heavy recoiling rifles in the past.

I'm not recoil sensitive at all and I don't mind admitting that in less than a 16lbs configuration more than about 5 rounds and it does start to wear on me.

3. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

4. lgray88

lgray88 Member

That a good write up , he seems quite pleased with his! I havent had much experience with heavy recoiling rifles as i currently only have my .22-250 and .243 , but i have had a few shots of my friends 300 winmag which i find easy manageable.

Can any of you recommend which dies to go for when it comes to reloading and what other equpiment i may need if i reload this caliber so far it seems that when i reload my .22-250 i can rattle the rounds off the press with little fuss and still get tight groups , i am not expecting the same with this round also id like to spend abit more time perfecting my reloading techquies with this round so i can get my best possible accuracy.

Also i had exbal for my pda but unfotunately i have let the thing go flat which in turn made it loose all its data, i never realised this happend so when i went to power it up i had lost my only copy of exbal, and the computer which had the original is no kapoot! I have spoken with gerald perry he replied once but i have heard no more from him. Any of you guys shed some light on this wether he uses this forum or not?

Cheers