Savage 110 DL Series H 300 Win Mag

Mustangp51d

Team:

I have an opportunity to purchase a Savage 110 DL Series H 300 Win Mag. It is a gun safe rifle with perhaps 100 round through it. Would this make a good fist build rifle for LR shooting. I am very new to LR shooting so humor me, I will try to only ask questions that I can not find on the site.

Second, what is the H Series in 110 rifle?

Thanks for the input,

P51

I would build on it. New trigger, barrel, and a stock would be a good way to go. Though the old triggers seem to have some good adjustment on them. You might be able to adjust it, to a crisp 2-3#'s.

Hello:

Got side tracked with a business trip. I was at the range last week end and shot the 300 Savage Win Mag. Zero out at 200yrds with stock barrel, trigger and stock. I had run a dollar bill under the stock and barrel and it had a good clearance to the receiver. I had a Millet 4X16 50mm scope I had picked up as a demo at the Gun Show. For now I was thinking about a Basic Sr2 trigger and then determine what the max range would be for the stock platform. Then I can work from that point. I had on quick question, can a stock 1:10 factory barrel have a muzzle break put on it? Its a stock taper but looks to have about 5/8 OD material to work with. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Muzzle brake will depend on who you talk to. If you have .625" OD you could do 1/2 thread and have a decent shoulder left to snug the brake up against. Some will probably say nothing less than 9/16 thread on a 300WM. Measure the barrel back from the muzzle about 5/8 and see what you get. I think most look for a shoulder around .05 at least. Assuming you have .625 OD subtract the thread size ie 1/2 for a left over of .125". Take half that and you get .0625" left for shoulder. 9/16" thread would leave you with .03125". Somebody wanna check my math and theory here? Maybe someone that actually does this will give you a better clue.

I think a 1/2-28 thread would work well. Talk to a smith. Shouldn't be a problem. The other thing you could to is have your barrel ported. That will require reaming and shorten your rifling about an inch or so, but still do the same thing as a break, just not quite as effective as a break. You'll probably see about a 30% reduction with a ported barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.