30-338 win mag or 300 H and H

cowboy717

A friend of mine says he has a 30 cal 1-12 twist(he thinks) he wants to get of. May finish out at 26 inches. I have wanted to build each caliber but not sure what to go with. What do you guys think and why? I have access to both a mauser action and a rem 700.
I'm kinda leaning toward thee mauser in the HandH for the classic feel. But found good things bout the 30-338.
Thanks!

Why not just a plain old .300win mag with a 12 twist you are gonna have to stick to fairly light weight slugs, in that case the 300win mag should push them plenty fast. The H&H is an ok round, but hard to get accurate reloads with with the lack of a good shoulder to headspace off of. Plus the increased cost of hard to find brass, you would be happier with the the 300 win mag, you could go for the 30-338 but it would be a waste to wildcat a big 300 in a 12 twist barrel.

Both are good cartridges with similar performance, but the H&H will take a longer action/mag, where the 30-338 will work in a standard '06 length box. Sounds like you're looking for somethin milder than the full 300 Win Mag, and these both fill the bill nicely. Both are accurate and provide a major boost in performance over the 30-'06. Both have been used to win 1000 yard championships. The case situation is a bit more limited with the H&H, while the 30-338 can be made out of 338 or 7 Rem Mag brass, both readily available from several makers. I'd probably lean towards the 30-338, but there is something truly classic about an H&H. The 1x12 will do just fine for anything you're likely to want to use in either of these, certainly up to 200 grains or so in most hunting designs.

The 30-338 is just a bit faster than the 300 H&H on average and fits on a mauser action much better. It is the same thing as a 308 Norma magnum if you want a standard cartridge that works very well in a mauser action. I have shot the 30-338, 308 norma and 300 win and velocities are all about the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts