savage 110 ba with a nightforce nsx

kshekailo919

Ok so... ive been shooting since I was 4 and love it. I reload so making my own ammo in nothing new to me. I know with precision shootin at long ranges the ammo is just as important as the the gun and optics. I am interested and always have been into long range shooting. But I have never done it. I was thinking of the savage 110ba in 338 lapua mag with a nightforce nsx 8-32 to start. This will be for target and hunting. Would this be a good starter setup. What would be a great setup if I get more serious and also what rangefinder do you guys think is the most accurate for long range shooting. Im a blue collar guy so I want to hear about things that are reasonable. Not a 20k custom gun 10k optics and mil spec range finder thats 20k. Thanks for any imput guys

Ok so... ive been shooting since I was 4 and love it. I reload so making my own ammo in nothing new to me. I know with precision shootin at long ranges the ammo is just as important as the the gun and optics. I am interested and always have been into long range shooting. But I have never done it. I was thinking of the savage 110ba in 338 lapua mag with a nightforce nsx 8-32 to start. This will be for target and hunting. Would this be a good starter setup. What would be a great setup if I get more serious and also what rangefinder do you guys think is the most accurate for long range shooting. Im a blue collar guy so I want to hear about things that are reasonable. Not a 20k custom gun 10k optics and mil spec range finder thats 20k. Thanks for any imput guys

The 110 BA is a big bulky rifle and not practical for most hunting applications. However, the rifle is a pleasure to target shoot long range. My personal preference for both hunting and target practice would be more along the line of a Senero type of rifle. You could build a 338 Edge for about the same price as the 110 BA or simply purchase a 300 RUM Sendero. The NXS 32X is one of my favorite scopes for both hunting and target competition. For a range finder the Leica 1600B works great.

The Savage 110BA is a great rifle but is more than a little bulky to carry. I have a friend who hunts with one (took a cow elk this year at over 1300 yards), however he is 20 years younger than me and in a lot better shape. If you plan on doing a lot of hunting I would look at a Savage long range hunter or a Remington Sendero in 338 or 300 RUM.

I would take a close look at Vortex scopes as well as the Leupold RX-1200 rangefinder. You could put together a very nice package for around 2k.

I don't do any hunting but was in a similar situation. Ended up getting the Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in .300 win mag. It's a very similar rifle to the BA but not nearly as heavy or bulky. Would be pretty easy to hunt with and the .300 wm would be more than enough for 1000+ hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.