Savage 110 BA 338LM owners....?

Demonian

I have a couple of questions for those whom own the 110 BA in 338LM. though it would be most helpful if you had other models as well.

I am looking to build a 338NM on a savage action. I know the LM bolt head is available, and quite reasonably priced, but what I do not know is if it will work in a normal Savage LA, specifically the 116 action.

So if you own a 110 BA and some calipers, could you please take some measurements and post them here? I am looking for the lug length, lug width (across both lugs), bolt head diameter, where it goes into the bolt body, and the overall bolt head length.

I am also looking for the same measurements from a non-LM, long action Savage. The 116 would be ideal.

I can get the 110 FCP, when available (months from now) and have it cut back, chopped down, crowned and re-chambered, but the 116 Bear Hunter in 338WM is already available, and less initial investment. Drop in a bolt head and a barrel at my convenience and be done with it.

Now before someone says try the search button, I did. For hours now I have been trying google, snipershide, savageshooters and here. No luck, though my "search fu" has been known to be weak.

Thanks in advance.

I have searched high and low. Called more places than I care to remember and have paid for one at a local shop. Everything I can find says not available yet. I even tried calling Savage, but after 20 minutes on ignore I had to go back to work.

Any idea where there is one on a shelf by chance?

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. after a lot of questions and reading i really don't like the idea of a 338 LM on a savage action. so i ordered a 338 edge barrel from sin arms and im about to send my action to SSS for some work. in my mind the edge is safer and more practical then the 338 LM in a savage action.

my advice is save the LM for a custom action and the 338 edge is a great compromise.

After a lot of thought I tend to agree. Trying to use a standard Savage action is probably not the best idea. I did, however, just get off the phone with my guy and it sounds like my 110 FCP should be here Friday-ish.

Now if only the scope would show up. I know the Viper PST is available online, but I prefer to buy local. Support the local shops and it will be there when you really need it and all the stuff.

Pics and initial impressions when I get it in my hands...

Can't wait to see how it goes, I fondled a PST the other day and man I was liking what I saw.
I've been trying to get a 338 NM built for a year and still haven't got it done, I'm just finishing up a 338 RUM built on a Savage CF action. I took and ran some 338 NM through it and it would be cake to make the 338 NM run with ease. My 338 NM plan is to use a Savage CF action turned out to large shank, 110BA bolt head, 1.350 shank barrel. The 110BA bolt head is more substantial than what the Rem 700 is and the Norma is getting built like hot cakes on the Rem 700 so I'm not to concerned with the Savage.

I just got the call confirming it. It will be here either Friday or Monday, depending on when the distributor gets it in the mail.

Time to get to work measuring brass, uniforming meplats and working up some loaded ammo for a ladder test. Still no word on the scope, but it shouldn't be too long. I think I should try to scrounge up some Gen 2 Bergers as well, lest I have the Gen 1 curse and it messes with the ladder test...

i have a 110 BA in 338 LM....

great purchase ....shoots very well.....took about 70-80 rounds to settle into nice groups....shoots 0.5-0.6MOA with the right driver with a middle of the range load of 88.5grains of H1000 @2615 fps 300g sierra match king and lapua brass (tested to 1000yards)

150 shots through it now....very happy for factory gun...well done Savage

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.