Savage 11 new stock help

arcticman

I have a savage 11 trophy hunter xp chambered in 204 Ruger. I bought this to use for coyotes at night with a ATN X Sight II 5-20. The issue I'm having is the scope is to far away from my eye to utilize it correctly. I think if I buy a new stock (factory one is junk anyway) with a shorter LOP I will be fine. Issue with that is the action has the bolt release on the bottom of the trigger guard. I found the stock I want to use (Boyd's At-One) but need different bottom metal. Looked online and cant really find what I need. Has anyone run into this issue? Thanks

The standard magazine well from other savages (including recent top bolt releases) should work with your trigger guard. Older top bolt releases had a thinner front on the trigger guard but they now are the same height as the bottom bolt release trigger guard.

http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1954&d=1442146211

You could use an older style for the thinner trigger guard and grind down the front also.

I just wish someone would appear with a stock and all that is needed in the for sale section. I like one stop shopping, lol.

I had this issue with a Predator 22-250. Are you using the 2 pc mounts supplied? I got around the issue by installing a 1pc, pic rail mount which could allowed much more scope relief adjustment room. This is dependent on the dimensions of your scope/tube, and that that your OEM stock fits you properly. While my Predator stock was a cheesy plastic affair, it fit well, and the internal chassis gave it a sound bedding platform.

For bottom metal you can get AICS pattern 223 polymer magazines that would work with your 204. You can get accurate mag bottom metal that will fit in the standard savage dbm inletting as well. If you would be interested I might have everything you would need in my gun room. Feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss options...

Greyfox I have a one piece rail on it now. It is just to far away to use. I am hoping what I ordered helps. So far I have ordered the Boyd's at-one stock, Pacific Tool and Gauge bottom metal, and a Wyatt 223 magazine. I know the mag is more expensive than most but I can only have a 5 round mag to hunt with and this is the only one I found. The stock has the shortest length of pull out of everything I looked at that wasn't 1k or more and Pacific Tool and Gauge has a reputation for excellent products. I should have the stock early next week. No shipment notifications on the rest yet. Hopefully everything fits together easy, but with my luck I will probably end up going to a gunsmith or doing the work myself if it's not to bad.

Andrewsben thanks for the advice and offer. I wanted to get a new stock anyway because the factory one is very flimsy. With the bipod deployed I can flex the stock enough for it to make contact with the barrel just by moving it around a little bit. I was not a fan of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.