Savage 10 failing to extract!?

wbundy

I just bought a Savage 10FP-SR in .308 and I took it out rock chuck hunting this weekend. I was extremely frustrated when at least half of my rounds were difficult to extract. I had to push several out with the cleaning rod. The extractor seems to be working fine, the brass is just getting stuck in the chamber. I am reloading once fired federal brass with 43 grains of IMR 4064 under a 168 grain Hornady Match BTHP bullet. It has been my "go to" round for a couple years now. Previously I had a Savage 10FP that loved this load and I never had one single failure to extract with the same brass and load. What is happening??? Any insight would be helpful.

Is the brass new brass that you have fired once or secondhand brass that has been once fired ?
If it is secondhand once fired , check the extractor groove and rim of all the cases as some once fired stuff has damage on the rims from hard extraction in full auto weapons. You can be lucky and the extractor grabs a good part of the rim but every now and then it grabs the bad part and can slip off.
the Savage extractor is not a great extraction system at the best of times.
If the brass is new from the start then maybe the cases need cleaning and the chamber may need a good scrub out with a chamber brush or a pad of fine steel wool on a jag with solvent , just don't jam right up into the neck area .
Crud can get hammered into the chamber surface from dirty cases.
Also put some moly grease on the bolt lugs mating surface and the rear caming surface to aid extraction leverage .
Also check the extractor claw and see if it is chipped or worn .
The next thing is case sizing . You may have fired them enough to start getting tight so after doing everything above if the issue persists you may have to resize the cases . I suggest you buy a Redding 308W body die for a 7/8x14 thread press . Neck size a few cases with a neck size only die . Then use the body die to size down a few tight cases a bit at a time until the bolt just closes on them , it is real easy to do as there is no necksizing or neck expanding going on with a body die , then adjust the die down only about 1 /16 of a turn more and then without moving the thread of the die , lock it up. Then size those few cases to the locked position. This should mean they chamber easy with minimum head space.
Load up those few cases and see if the extraction is better.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'll try your suggestions. It's a brand new rifle and I've cleaned it several times. Also, I tumbled the brass before reloading and it was spotless, so I don't think there can be much crud build up in the gun. The lugs seem to be locking up without problem. Also, i don't think its an extractor issue, as the extractor isn't slipping off the case. In fact when I tapped the bolt with a piece of wood, the extractor actually ripped a chunk out of the rim of the case before it broke loose! I'll try neck sizing as well as cleaning again. Thanks!

If the cases are clean and the gun is new and the extractor is gripping well then it could be either a bad chamber , like reamer marks in the chamber or too much pressure. Your powder load seems normal but IMR 4064 is temp sensitive so if you are shooting in hot weather it could be producing extra pressure . I would recommend that you switch to Varget which is not temp sensitive . Specially made in Australia (AKA , AR 2208) for the 308 sold by Hodgon in the US . Check out the fired brass for signs of rings / scratches , indicating reamer marks or rough chamber .
Try backing off the powder load and see if extraction improves.
Funny things can happen with pressure in certain guns. I have a friend who uses a 243 and the same powder and bullet as me but I am a full 6 grains of powder over his load and no problems . His load is already max and has hard extraction. So your gun might be one of those that produce extra pressure possibly because of very tight chamber and bore.
The next time you shoot , take one round and polish up the case with fine steel wool and then fire it. Inspect that case for rings or scratches . Normal flat marring of the surface is ok as that is just where the case has pushed against the chamber walls .
Are the primers showing any indication of high pressure. Excessive flattening or cratering around the edge of the pin indent ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts