Berger 195's failing?

WeiserBucks

Seems like there's a handful of folks whispering about some of failures with the 195's. Seems like most are happy with them but some guys are beating around the bush about poor results.

I want to hear some 1st hand experience with them , good or bad , before I consider stepping up from the 180's.

I am pushing them 3200 with a ultra rogue up to 3260 but both those shots were 3200 at the muzzle. I shot two deer this year with it they were both 320 yards,both drt,, the bullet didnt exit on either but expanded, it was carnage.I have been thinking that they expanded a bit to quick.at that range anyway.. I have shot some 180s in it but havent hunted with that bullet and rifle.

Deer #1 60 yds DRT
Deer #2 400 yds ran 50 yds gushing
Coyote 500 yds removed right rear hip
All exits with expansion running 3000 fps.
Very happy with the results.

I have killed an elk with one with no issue, but have had enough solid reports from guys I trust that recovered game that I no long consider it a hunting bullet. I did witness another elk shot in the heart at 330 yards from a 28 Nosler and a 195. There was no reaction from the elk. It died but I was not impressed. @loonie has had issues as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like typical Berger in a lot of cases.
No I don't think typical of Berger at all I have had outstanding luck with the 140 VLD hunting bullets from 250 to 890 on 4 deer and 3 bulls running 3220fps. But I'm hearing the same as Alex on the 195 from people I trust also.

I and people I hunt with have had both good results and failures. Sometimes, with the same style/caliber bullet. And no, the tips weren' t closed. To me, this is unexceptable, so I , for the most part, stay away from them. This same argument has gone on for years and likely will continue. If you are happy with them, by all means use them! I have many people who shoot my chamberingss that love them, so I fully understand.....rich

Bergers work best when you do NOT make shoulder shots...Shoot for soft-vitals directly behind the shoulder bone, and you should still have a clean kill. Also, animals run. Regardless of how good your shot is, more often than not, that animal will get a shot of adrenalin when it gets hit, and it's natural response is flight.

Seen alot of brands and bullets fail...But only had 1 Berger fail to expand, and even then, it still dropped the deer in its tracks. Good shot placement is key regardless of bullet brand or model.

As for me, I've had the best luck with Bergers, so I'll stick with them.

Never used the 195s.
Of the Bergers I have used on game, some models performed more reliably than others. They remind me of some of the brands of firecrackers we'd light off as kids. Some would go bang, some wouldn't.
BlackCats would rarely fail to blast. I want the BlackCat bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts