Santa Barbara Magnum Mauser Action

elwskw

I'm building a 7MM Rem Mag out of a Santa Barbara action and have been able to purchase more of the actions.

My question is, what are the calibers you can build on this action? It's a large ring magnum action.

Can you build a 300 RUM or a 300 Weatherby on it. What would be a good long range caliber for this action?

THANKS

The commercial Mauser actions, made by Santa Barbra in Spain, probably shouldn't be used for anything more than standard, .300 Win. Mag. length, magnums. These actions are made from castings. I'm not even sure they're 'investment cast' as these were made before investment casting became feasible for most manufactures. Many consider the Santa Barbra Mausers to be at the lower end of commercial Mauser manufacture. Just look at the bottom side, it's obvious they are castings.

The mauser actions will typically accommodate up to 30-06 length cartridges. This also includes the 30-06 length magnums such as the various Winchester magunums, 7mm Remington Magnum, etc. If you go to the belted magnums, modifications have to be made to the bolt face, extractor, and receiver feed rails.

As for longer cartridges such as the .300 RUM and Weatherby, you have one of two options: (1) You can use the action as a single shot if you have the extractor beveled to allow it to push feed and/or use a single shot follower. OR (2) You can have the opening for the magazine box opened to accommodate the full length magnums. Doing this will undercut the area of the action that supports the lower locking lug and weaken the action. It is a procedure that IS done by some gunsmiths as well as commercially offered mauser actions such as the Mk X's produced by Zastava.

Personally, I would select option #1 if I absolutely had to have a full length magnum in a mauser action. I would not be comfortable with option #2. IMO, the 30-06 length or shorter cartridges are a better choice for use in a mauser.

If you want the longer magnums, I think you would be better off to go with a Remington 700 or a custom action. In the end, that is your judgement call to make.

The commercial Mauser actions, made by Santa Barbra in Spain, probably shouldn't be used for anything more than standard, .300 Win. Mag. length, magnums. These actions are made from castings. I'm not even sure they're 'investment cast' as these were made before investment casting became feasible for most manufactures. Many consider the Santa Barbra Mausers to be at the lower end of commercial Mauser manufacture. Just look at the bottom side, it's obvious they are castings.[/QUOTE]

I've got what I always thought was a Santa Barbara action. It was imported by Golden Sate Arms and originally wore alluminum bottom metal which broke and was replaced with a reshaped piece of military bottom metal. I can't make out any casting marks on it and short of a serial number there are no markings on it at all, It looks to me to be fully machined. It doesn't have a stripper clip recess so it's not a military action. Wonder what it is now?

Commercial Mausers have no 'thumb cut' on the left side rail either. Several companies have made commercial Mauser actions and complete rifles. The better ones start as forgings. All the military Mausers started as forgings except the Chang-Kai-Sheks' made in China and who knows how or what they were made of! I have several Santa Barbra Mauser '98 actions in my safe, recent imports w/import marks and stamped below the wood line on the rear tang "Made in Spain". A few years ago I had 3 Commercial Magnum Mauser actions. All three were marked "Santa Barbra" "Made in Spain". The bottom and below the wood line were obviously castings as are those in my safe. Google "Golden State Arms" and see what you come up with.

Google "Golden State Arms" and see what you come up with.

Not finding much. Mine is definitely not a sporterized military action-commercial Mauser all the way. Sterile except for a stamped SN. Can't find anything on who manufactured these actions for Golden State Arms.

Thanks for the info, also found some Mauser HVA 8000 Actions!
What calibers can you build on this action?

Regarding the HVA 8000, actions, a google search will yield detailed information on these. They are a completely different animal from the '98 pattern mausers. They were offered in standard long action chamberings such as .270 and 30-06 as well as chamberings such as .300WM. Anything in that OAL and case head size range should work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.