Mauser Action Blueprinting

Lonewolfmt

I have a Competition setup that I had built on a 1952 Mauser action. The gunsmith that did all the work did a fantastic job on everything, right down to the custom one-off stock. There was only a limited amount that he was able to do to the action as far a trueing. My question, is there anyone that someone could point me to anyone that deals with these actions?

I've worked with Mauser actions for many years. My opinion is, you screwed-up by choosing a Mauser action for a "competition build". They make fine hunting rifles and when 'smithed properly they shoot like a house afire, I've used many of them. But, they can't be 'blue printed' like a Rem. 700 can. #1, they start out as a forging and are machined from there. Forgings are difficult to keep straight, especially with the "old technology" that was employed when yours (and those made earlier), was made. #2, They are case hardened after they are machined which will induce some deflection/warping when quenched. 700s are milled of pre-heat treated bar stock. No warpage there (but some of the older, pre-CNC made receivers had some **** poor machining. #3, the case hardening process only leaves a hard "skin" that's, at the most .012"- .015" thick,,,, many times much thinner. Cut through the hard layer while "blue printing" and you have soft, unhardened, low carbon steel. A simple proceedure such as lapping the lugs might expose that softer steel and the bolt lug(s) will set back when fired. Same with bolt faces. The only place you can get away with cutting through the 'hard' layer, the case, is the face of the action. My hat's off to the guy who can 'jig a Mauser up' and "true" the threads to the raceway. Besides, doing that may expose unhardened steel. Short answer,,, Hobbiests might, those who pay insurance won't.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.