Sambar season

Discussion in 'Australia, New Zealand' started by Topshot, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

The 2009 Victorian sambar season continues to be a good one.

I just got back from a four day hike into a wilderness area with my brother. He managed to take his first deer and was very excited. I managed to take this heavy Sambar on the third day.

In freezing conditions, we hunted down low and I saw 8 sambar including three stags.

The second stag looked promising and was up on a high ridge over 400 yards away. With the steep angle it took me 15 minutes to get into a shooting possition where I could line him up. You can guess what happened then, he walked off into the scrub never to be seen again. I need to get myself a longer set of BiPod legs.

After that I walked up the valley another 500m and spotted this stag feeding unaware of my pressence, at range of only 8 to 10m. Not exactly long range but beggers can't be choosers so I took the shot and dropped it DRT.
    I wish the pack out was as enjoyable as the hunt.

[​IMG]

2. Steve7mm08

Steve7mm08 Well-Known Member

Thats a cracker animal

Any of you Aussies interested in a swap hunt?, I would love to shoot a Sambar stag

3. JAWZ

JAWZ Well-Known Member

Mate very nice would have hated to have seen the good 1 :D.

Nice heavy and very even well done.

Still no word from Shane though :rolleyes:

4. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

...'Bout time... been waiting days for the story !

Obviously you did not have time to factor the angle of shot and have time to go to the PDA hey ! Ten meters !..... Put you money into a Bayonet instead of the EDGE !

What are the stags measurements ? Very unusal shape for sure.

When you get your new gun there will be no 15 minutes to "get into position" at 400. Just dial and pull the trigger ! There will be no looking back ! MAybe try rocks under your legs next time. That can work too.

DUH

5. Topshot

Hey DUH,
    That bayonet idea may be worth thinking about:rolleyes:

The stag I took was not scored, but measured at 28.5x28.5x31.5 with quite thick coronets and main beams.

The Bi-pod idea with the rocks might have worked but there were no large rocks in the area. Tried my back pack but still not enough elevation. Ended up down in a washout with the bi-pod legs strapped over a wet log with me under it. Not very comfortable but quite a stable field position.

I watched him for about 5 minutes with his arse pointing at me and no shoulder shot on offer. He then walked off into the scrub.

Now this stag can hide but his problem is that I now know where he lives!!!!:D

I was more than happy with the animal I ended up with which I think was a more interesting trophy anyway.

I will not be able to get back into this area for a while as I have to go and pack into my "good spot" next time. :D Promised my son a crack at a big one.

But when I do return I will either be fitted out with a 20" Bi-pod or have my EDGE! hey JAWZ.

6. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

Congratulations, nice buck!!!
    Good change of luck in minutes.
    Would like to see more pictures of your trophy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. bruce55

bruce55 New Member

found the forum as i am looking at the fine stag you took. I have done a lot of pig shooting in NSW but i have a burning desire to take a nice stag and buff to mount at home. Bruce

8. Topshot

Hey Bruce,
    Get that .338 and you won't be sorry, ideal on Sambar and will handle Buff OK.
    When you get all set up PM me and I will give you a few spots to try for a Sambar. Plenty for everyone but expect some hard work! :)