Salvaging Primed Cases

Wheat

I just primed a small tray of once fired brass and then discovered I did not have enough tension on the necks to adequately retain the bullets. I want to salvage the brass and want to know the best, safest way to do this. Can I simply chamber the cases, fire the primers (just a primer in a case with no powder or bullet) and reload them or, do I simply have to scrap the cases?
frown.gif

S1

I see I'm not the only person that needs tension primed cases. I do the same when making "Mexican Match" or changing factory bullets to better quality bullet more to my liking.

Pull bullets, jiggle powder loose and pour into powder pan, resize case neck with decaper pin removed, install powder and reseat better bullet.

Wheat,

Firing primers in the empty cases is a normal and recommended practice if you're just looking to be able to punch them back out "safely", pushing live primers back out with the decapping pin is a risky business not advised.
If you don't need to push them out as in your case here, just remove the pin as they said.

Thanks for all the replies.
I removed the decapper and resized the necks as S1 suggested and it worked great. Still, it's good to know I can fire the primed cases without worry.
Thanks again,
Marcine

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.