Salvaging Primed Cases

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Wheat, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Wheat

Wheat Member

I just primed a small tray of once fired brass and then discovered I did not have enough tension on the necks to adequately retain the bullets. I want to salvage the brass and want to know the best, safest way to do this. Can I simply chamber the cases, fire the primers (just a primer in a case with no powder or bullet) and reload them or, do I simply have to scrap the cases? [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

3. Wheat

Wheat Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it this morning.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

S1

I see I'm not the only person that needs tension primed cases. I do the same when making "Mexican Match" or changing factory bullets to better quality bullet more to my liking.

Pull bullets, jiggle powder loose and pour into powder pan, resize case neck with decaper pin removed, install powder and reseat better bullet.

5. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Wheat,

Firing primers in the empty cases is a normal and recommended practice if you're just looking to be able to punch them back out "safely", pushing live primers back out with the decapping pin is a risky business not advised.
    If you don't need to push them out as in your case here, just remove the pin as they said.

6. Wheat

Wheat Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I removed the decapper and resized the necks as S1 suggested and it worked great. Still, it's good to know I can fire the primed cases without worry.
    Thanks again,
    Marcine