Sako Optilock ~Help~!?!?!

DrKvorkian

I just picked up a Sako 75 Stainless/Synthetic and was putting a Zeiss scope on it. As I was putting the last screw into the ring, the allen head broke off. ARGH! I tried some spare Leupolds I had, but not the same. Sportsman's didnt have any extra or spares around. I have no idea where I am going to find another one of these. Does anyone have a spare I could buy, or an idea where I could pick one up?? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

do you know what size it is ? I have some different spares, from different mounts....

measure with calipers... if you don't know

Hey Yotes, thanks for the offer, I dont have a pair of calipers at the moment. I suppose I could go buy a set if I had to. This is just one of those 8 screws that holds the top portion of the ring to the bottom part of the ring. They are blued and were brand new with the gun, so they have to be a current/modern set of Optilocks. Thanks again!

I would get ahold of Beretta USA. They will send you one out no charge. I don't have a # handy but I bet it can be found on the net.

Beretta can be reached @ 301 283-2191.

I need a set of plastic ring inserts for my 1" Opti-lock rings. Anyone have a suggestion as to where they may be found? I wrote a letter to Beretta but they did not respond to this particular question.

Don't get only one spare screw--my experience with Sako ring screws has not been good. Most of them are much too hard/brittle and they have broken just under the screw head.

Jim

Hi Dr,
they are M 3.5 and cost £4 each if you buy them from GMK.
They are in fact a special, the head diameter is smaller then the standard M 3.5 socket head screw.
I bought 2 dozen but had to turn down the heads to fit the counterbore in the ring, as soon as i can remember where i got them from i will email you.

Ian.

I ended up calling Beretta today. They were very nice and helpful. I had never had to call Beretta before, but it was a good experience. I wanted to take a minute and thank you guys for all the help. You were right about everything, the size, and the head being larger. I was wanting to get that last screw in and go shooting, but I guess waiting for a package in the mail will have to do. Once again, thank you very much. This was my first post to this forum. I belong to several other forums, mostly about predator hunting, and have found that people who shoot and hunt are usually great and helpful people that will do anything for you. You guys proved to be the same. Thank you! If I can ever return the favor, please let me know.

Those ring screws are the weak link in the Optilock system. They're too soft and after one or two scope changes are useless because the hex head will strip out and you won't be able to tighten them (or remove them without drilling the head off).

An alternative is Conetrol rings. I've used these on one of my Sakos and I like 'em better. The only drawback is the cost.

DrK,

Sounds like you have some screws on the way. I didn't see your post soon enough to help, but in the furture you might try contacting Accuflite Sports. They have as many Sako parts as I've found anywhere. Ask for JB, he's always been helpful to me.

Ph: 724-733-7033 www.accuflite.com

Festus

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.