Optilock Help Please

Super Dave

Hi All,

For some reason I thought the VX6 3-18 would have a longer body. The gun is a Sako TRG-S 30-06.

I would like to get a second opinion before I hammer in the stop pin on the rear base and lose my ability to return them ($140).

I'm wondering if I would be better off returning this set and ordering the style with separate rings/bases.

The only way I can get it to fit properly is to make the adjustments that I wrote on the photo below. The instructions that came with the rings said to mount the front ring in the center (similar to the photo)...because mounting forward / rear of center will adjust the elevation (point of impact).

My other questions is if I make the changes, will they be as secure since they will not be mounted where they are supposed to be?

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Dave

TRG-S%2520Optilock.jpg

I'm not clear about your proposed solution to the problem. Are proposing to remove the recoil lug on the rear ring? If so, the rings may slip. Have you looked at installing a Picatinny rail and rings instead of the Optilock rings?

Thank you Bruce. Yes, that first solution would have required the removal of the recoil lug. I was not sure if that was a problem. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I ditched that idea.

I placed an order for separate rings and bases. If I configure them like in the photo below it should work just fine.
Sako%2520Mount.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

Thank you Bruce. Yes, that first solution would have required the removal of the recoil lug. I was not sure if that was a problem. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I ditched that idea.

I placed an order for separate rings and bases. If I configure them like in the photo below it should work just fine.
Sako%2520Mount.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

That is the way my TRG-S is done. I will warn you, The screw that goes through the base into the bottom of the rings will come loose. Make sure you get that good and tight and red lock tight that bad boy. I almost lost a bull of a life time last year do to this. Luckily I had stocked close enough I pretty much could not miss.

Got it mounted. I think the scope will be really good. I would prefer the reticle to be a little thicker (no fire dot)...but that's an easy enough change with Leupold.

Boman, what kind of picatinney base did you put on your TRG-S?
Thanks,
Dave

Optilock%2520extended.jpg

Dave,

I went with a base that Eurooptic sold. I believe it was made by Roedale. At least that's what the packaging said. I would have happily used a reversible optiloc like you did but I was told they didn't make one.

The base is referred to as the "Extended" model. The model # for the blued finish is: S1700958.
Deprecated Browser Error

FYI, this is from Beretta USA. It took me a long time to find this info.
How tight should my scope mount screws be?
How tight should my scope mount screws be?

Answer ID 795 | Published 03/30/2010 01:30 PM | Updated 11/17/2011 12:27 PM
How tight do I need to tighten the base and ring screws on my Sako Optilock or Tikka ring mounts?
We suggest when ever possible using a torque reading screw driver or torque wrench when installing scope mount bases and assembling scope mount rings. Reasonably priced and quality torque reading screw drivers are available from a number of sources. We suggest contacting Brownells, Inc. if you need to purchase one.
The Optilock scope ring cap screws should be torqued to 15-17 in/lbs, the Optilock base to scope ring stud screw and the base to dovetail clamp screw should be torqued to 45 in/lbs.
Tikka aluminum scope ring cap screws should be torqued to 12-14 in/lbs maximum.
If using screw-on bases with drilled and tapped Tikka and Sako A-7 rifles we recommend 10 to 12 in/lbs if you have 6 threads or less of engagement in the receiver thread and 15-17 in/lbs if you have more then 6 threads of engagement.
When installing screw-on bases that have 6 or less of screw thread engagement be vary judicious in the amount of torque you apply to set the screws. With this little thread engagement it is very easy to strip the screw thread from the action holes and this is not covered by the firearm warranty.
These are guide lines only. Common sense and a "feel for what you are doing" is still required. The head style, slot, Allen (hex), Torx and the "grade" (hardness/quality) of the screw will all create some degree of variation in how much torque can be applied to the screw without damaging the screw or stripping the threads.
Notes: a) Scope mount ring cap screws do not require the application of a thread locker i.e. Loc-Tite. The spring load of the scope ring cap around the scope tube will keep the screw tight.
b) We suggest a drop of Loc-Tite 222 or 242 grade thread locker be applied to screw-on type scope base screws. Immediately after installing your bases check and make sure that the thread locker has not seeped into the chamber or action of your firearm. If so clean the affected area and parts immediately with a good gun solvent.
c) Never torque a screw home dry. If not using a thread locker on screws, such as scope ring cap screws, apply a drop of oil to the underside of the head of the screw and the threads and than wipe "dry". There will be enough residual oil to allow the screw to seat home smoothly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.