Sako m995 action threads

Grizz1148

having a lazzeroni warbird rebarreled on a Sako m995, turns out this particular action has metric threads and my gunsmith cannot thread my new barrel with metric threads. Anyone recommend someone or know who I can send the barrel to just to thread it for that action? Thanks in advance.

having a lazzeroni warbird rebarreled on a Sako m995, turns out this particular action has metric threads and my gunsmith cannot thread my new barrel with metric threads. Anyone recommend someone or know who I can send the barrel to just to thread it for that action? Thanks in advance.
find a new gunsmith would be my first option. 60 degree Vee threads are similar no matter what concept, and virtually every lathe built in the last forty years will do both. Some of them require a gear change, and some just require a lever throw on the quick change gear box. Add to this, I'd be a little leary about a guy using a 50 year old lathe unless he knew how to maintain it (80% don't).
gary

find a new gunsmith would be my first option. 60 degree Vee threads are similar no matter what concept, and virtually every lathe built in the last forty years will do both. Some of them require a gear change, and some just require a lever throw on the quick change gear box. Add to this, I'd be a little leary about a guy using a 50 year old lathe unless he knew how to maintain it (80% don't).
gary

I've used this Smith for 30 years, he has 45 years of experience, hes built several guns for me with good results every time. His lathe will not do the metric threads and finding a new Smith is why I posted the question here, need a Smith to thread that bbl for me.

I've got two M995's and a Tikka M595 with Metric Threads. GA Precision re-barreled one of them. They didn't want to do the other last time I asked, but said if I was willing to wait they would do it because I was an existing customer. I know Owens Armory and Patriot Valley Arms will have no issue with metric threads. Pretty sure Long Rifle's Inc can do it also. Pretty much any smith that uses CNC should have no problem.

I just got my M995 300WM back from GA precision and they did an awesome job. They've got my vote. They turned around my rebarrel and action work in about 3mo, and it didn't cost too much.

Most any gunsmith with a MAUNAL lathe capable of cutting metric threads can do this. CNC is NOT required! Only the proper "change gears" or the re-positioning of a control lever (which changes gearing) is needed. I cut metric threads, by the use of "change gears" all the time and my lathe isn't a CNC.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.