Sako barrel threads

According to DeHaas in the book "Bolt Action Rifles"

Shank length: .870"
Shank Diameter: I.000"
Threads:16 V T.P.I.

Be careful heard thru the grapevine they are a differant type of thread.

Forget whats it called starts with a "W".

Be careful heard thru the grapevine they are a differant type of thread.

Forget whats it called starts with a "W".

Some are Metric thread pitch and some are standard thread pitch and as suggested
Unscrew the barrel and check the threads with a thread pitch gage to be sure.

I'm not sure why some have the metric pitches and others have the standard pitch but
they do.

Some of the European threads are 55o instead of 60o also but most of these are Mauser.

J E CUSTOM

If this is an L61R or an AV it is a 1.045 X16 TPI, the difference between them is the rear tang is longer on the AV. The small and medium actions use 1.00X16 on the medium and I am not familiar with the small L461 action.

The Finnbear is an L-61R, and if it is a Whitworth thread form, it will be a 55 deg V instead of a standard 60 deg V. I've read and been told that many gunsmiths use a std 60 deg threading tool to cut tenon threads for Mauser actions with the 55 deg Whitworth receiver thread.

A thread pitch gage will tell you what the pitch is, but you may not be able to tell the difference between a 55 deg and a 60 deg form with it. Last year I had a chance to record the dimensions of a L-61R take-off barrel. The barrel thread O.D. was 1.050" diameter X 16 tpi, and the tenon was .677" long, shoulder to breech face. I never thought to check if it was a 55 deg thread form, but if it was, it wasn't obvious, because the pitch gage (std 60 deg form), fitted too well.

I believe the previous replies had you covered, but since I had been able to measure one and record the dimensions, I decided to reply also.

I really like the Sako actions, but JE is right. I have a .30 x .378 take-off barrel from a Sako M-995, and it's definitely a metric thread. I think the pitch on the thread is between a 16 tpi and an 18 tpi. Nothing I had matched up. I don't have a metric pitch gage to verify it.

If you decide to rebarrel it, the L-61R is a very fine action.

Good hunting, Tom

So the thread on my barrel/receiver Sako AV 30-06 has "inch" threads, not metric? Just curious as it is a very nice rifle and if I ever had another 280AI or 6.5/280AI made up I would like to use this action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.