Sako in 260 rem

I ave a Sako 85S in 260 Rem and it is capable of extreme accuracy. I shot 3 140 VLD's into a hole that measures .296 across COAL 2.94. A host of powders have shot under MOA but my favorites have been H4831SC, W760/H414, IMR 7828SSC, H4350 and N560 pretty much in that order. Of late my favorite bullets have been 120TSX and 120NBT Rem 9.5's have produced the smallest groups. I generally just seat enough bullet so the top of the boattail is at the shoulder/neck junction I don't think I have ever been in contact with the Lans.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Awesome! I just loaded up 15 rounds in 3's. All separated by 1.5 grain increments. All at 2.90. I'll get to it soon. Thank you for the information! You don't by recall those powder charges that was accurate?

With the 140 NAB and VLD 44.5 gr H4831SC the 120 NBT and TSX 48.5 gr 4831sc or 44 gr Win 760 all with 9.5's. I tried 130's and moa was as god as it got. I really like the 120 NBT for extreme accuracy the TSX for hunting. Haven't got around to the TTSX been trying the 100's as well but thats a work in progress.

Shoot straight

You can load up a deep seated dummy round (about Saami specs) with no powder or primer, seat a bullet in the case (no crimp), mark it with a sharpee and then try it in the chamber. Each try, seat it less deep and try again until you see land marks in the sharpee on the bullet, then back off 20-30 thou and see if it fits in your magazine.
It is redneck, but a lot of folks use this method. Not precise enough to be load 5 thou off your lands, but I used it to do .020 for several years before buying the tools for the job... and came up with some pretty darned accurate loads.

You can load up a deep seated dummy round (about Saami specs) with no powder or primer, seat a bullet in the case (no crimp), mark it with a sharpee and then try it in the chamber. Each try, seat it less deep and try again until you see land marks in the sharpee on the bullet, then back off 20-30 thou and see if it fits in your magazine.
It is redneck, but a lot of folks use this method. Not precise enough to be load 5 thou off your lands, but I used it to do .020 for several years before buying the tools for the job... and came up with some pretty darned accurate loads.

I've used this method, and it will get you darn close. I usually seat it the other direction to save time with the bullet puller. Load one really long, then keep spinning my die down in 10 thousands increments till the bolt will close with no resistance. At that point, you can move to the sharpie, and really fine tune it.

Yup... that is how I used to do it. Had it backwards! Been a few years since I used that method... I can hide my own Easter eggs some days! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts