SAKO 75 Finnlight = poor accuracy

AlbertaAl

I purchased a used SAKO 75 Finnlight 308 and reloaded 150 scirrocos and Berger 155's which display crappy 200 yds groups of 3"- 5"

This rifle has a 20-1/4 x 1:11 fluted barrel.

Reloading components include Varget, Lapua brass, CCIBR-2,
The stock channel is clear but very tight on the sides and difficult to remove.
Would you agree this stock needs to be ground out so it isn't so tight?

My 300 yd. ladder test was all over the place.
Is this typical of the Finnlights ?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Is the barrel channel touching the barrel or is the receiver channel the part that is too tight?

Also, is the receiver torqued correctly?

These are usually excellent shooters out of the box.

The barrel channel is clear...
The reciever is tight into the stock...
I used to torque but stopped this practice for fear of over-tightening ...I just keep them hands-on snug.

Do you have a suggestion on torquing reciever screws?

Personally I use 35 in/lbs front and rear.

Also check the recoil lug area. This is damage prone on these stocks and might need to be bedded.

Does your stock have any channel ribs touching your barrel?

If you still have issues, I would send it back to Sako. They have too good of a reputation to have a non performing gun out there.

I dont have channnel ribs touching the barrel .
The stocks recoil lug area is in good condition.

- I've decided to bed the small area where the recoil lug nests into the stock.
-Also, I noticed that when the bolt arm is in a closed position the arm rests on the stock so I'll take out out some stock material in that area.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Rubber or wood stock? I have a 75 #3 and had to put a real stock on it to get it to shoot.
Not familiar what the Finnlite comes with.

To my knowledge, FINNLIGHT MODELS (sako specs), Model 75 and model 85's are always a synthetic stock that is black in color with soft touch - grey colored inlays on the pistol grip and fore stock.

Update > she shoots great now !
emuyf.jpg

Its been about 2 weeks since I got things worked-out with my finnlite and havn't had an opportunity to "update" because I've been so busy.

I bedded the rifles fore-stock and torqued the action screws.
Installed a NXS 3.5-15x50 into Opti Loks

My pet load is now:
LAPUA brass, CCI BR-2's, 46.2gr. Varget, Berger 155 VLD HUNTING , avg. velocity 2736 FPS, and goups an acceptable horizontal 3 shots @ .437"
11wfq7m.jpg

I experimented with increased powder charges for increased velocities but the groups opened-up.
dqjfo4.jpg

Interesting thread I have heard that these issues over andnover however I haven't had the problem......:). Just getting ready to send my rifle to accuflight and donating some work to jb. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.